BETA: Custom Channels via M3U Playlists

Added my security cameras with rtsp streams in the m3u and it worked great. Thanks so much for this addition.

2 Likes

I've set this up as you described and the channels play but stop after about 5 minutes. Are you experiencing the same?

Indeed. Works now. Must have taken a bit for guide data to come down.

Yes - amazingly, the power went out and now it will not boot. Is there a script I can run to reset it? The NAS is working fine.

You probably have to reinstall and restore from backup.

Doing that now - thanks

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you Channels Team. I was able to add Pluto and Stirr (https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/9xk7kyy3

Make sure to use HLS for both

2 Likes

Pluto is hls

How do I find the Gracenote IDs to populate the optional tvc-guide-stationid field in my M3U file?

3 Likes

Thank you. Choosing HLS worked for both

Wow, this is an incredible and unexpected addition to Channels DVR! I am so very grateful, it's working wonderfully here! I've been a happy Channels DVR user for a bit now and every time the Channels developer team comes out with new features I'm blown away by how well they work and how thoughtfully they have been implemented. Thank you!

6 Likes

Hey guys, I'm working on the tvOS/iOS app to make it play a little nicer with custom channels. This means handling art more gracefully as well as handling things a little nicer when there's no art, or no guide items.

The first results are up on TestFlight now. It's mostly changes that help when a channel has custom guide art attached to it. This way you get art, since most EPG data has no art for shows.

You can see some of the results here using Pluto art.

If you really want to craft an experience with custom channels, you should pay attention to our M3U tag extensions.

With these, you can make Channels look its best using your custom channels. If your channels don't have guide data, using our extension tags, you can set default meta data like Title and Summary info, and most importantly, give your channel default art so it looks great like the screenshots above.

7 Likes

I’ve added a bunch of Pluto TV channels as favorites (this is so great!) but now when I go to “On Now” to rearrange their display order, the UI seems to have changed, I can’t move a channel more than one position and I also can’t seem to exit the jiggle mode.

Rearrange mode is an actual mode now. Instead of only being able to move 1 channel at a time, the grid gets put into a mode that allows you to move channels until you exit that mode.

Once you get into jiggle mode, you need to select the channel you want to move. Then, when you're done moving it, hit select again to confirm it's position. You can then immediately select another channel to move. Once you are done moving channels, hit the exit/back/menu button to exit rearrange mode.

OK, i'm pushing out some more changes. This should make things way better with default channel logos and no art.

Could some of you DM me example m3u files you're using personally? I'd like to get a bunch of good samples to see how well things look in the app when using them.

This seems to have not gotten a lot of attention when it was implemented. It is a great improvement for rearranging the channels. Thanks for all the hard work.

1 Like

It would be cool if we could create a running list or community thread of m3u sources and links to the url of those confirmed to work with Channels. So far, Pluto and Stirr work for me. I posted the link to Stirr in the thread above. Maybe Xumo or Destro will work but I've been unable to find the m3u url for those.

Thanks again to the Channels Team for getting this option working. It enhances the value of the service even more.

2 Likes

Please watch what gets shared. Any illegal feeds will be immediatly taken down and whoever posted it will be suspended for one week.

We don’t support illegal iptv and don’t want the community to turn into a link sharing site.

8 Likes

Gotcha. Didn’t realize this was an issue as I’m new to this. I’ll run any sites by moderators first.

The rstp feed from my outdoor camera has stopped working. I haven't changed anything. It was working flawlessly about 18 hours ago. I've rebooted everything and the camera is working fine. I'm wondering if something changed. I am on the latest version as of a few minutes ago.

My logs are here: 7dcb4a27-dc42-4af6-92f5-06dc284540f1

My setup is:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,Camera
rtsp://login:[email protected]:88/videoSub