2012 Mac Mini vs Synology DS220+

I use Btrfs. Using the SHR raid. I can lose up to one drive before losing data.

what is Btrfs?

A filesystem.

1 Like

ahhh ok I see...

Not sure if this helps but I run a truenas system with a channels dvr docker container with a dedicated media volume for the storage. It may be overly complicated to go that route but I prefer a dedicated computer hardwired as a “server” for all the media work. No USB and such. It’s just too risky and flakey. If you use the synology I would also try to run the channels dvr with their docker container. My setup is 120TB ZFS media server and 80TB DS1821+ SHR for backup of the media on the dvr. I use channels on Apple TV and all the iOS devices over wifi with no issues.

Also, I would ditch using network aggregation. Most people don’t even understand how it works and in home applications I would argue it’s completely unnecessary and most likely not being utilized.

1 Like

thanks for the insight...what is the difference between installing channels DVR directly and installing it using the docker container? are there any directions to installing it using the docker container? I was going to split test on the mac mini and on the NAS to see which one works the best.

On the NAS would you recommend a total separate volume or just a separate storage share?

I would try and do it on the NAS as an app first. NAS is made for this kind of thing IMO. I would just try to avoid using a mini with a bunch of attached devices.

I don’t think you need a dedicated volume perse it’s just a organization thing as media can take up a lot of space and it’s easier to manage on its own volume. I would suggest creating a media folder with a tv subdir. That’s how I manage the dvr media data structure now.

As for using a docker container it tends to get more up to date than the spks and it’s more easily portable meaning you can move the container around to another device relatively easily and then sync the media over should you ever need too.

What I've found is that the users who just use the simplest possible setup don't have any issues. Buy a cheap tp-link gigabit switch, plug in the HDHR and NAS and TVs. Everything just works.

As soon as you start getting into complicated tech like unifi routers and brtfs and docker and LACP, you will have problems. All that tech does nothing but add complexity, and unless you're a trained network engineer and filesystem expert and networking expert and docker expert, you will just make your own life miserable.

7 Likes

that makes a lot of sense...I'm just gonna plug everything into my switch. The access points are for my wifi and have nothing to do with it. I will keep everything on the Nas for now. Now that I have the bigger hard drives I can set it and hopefully forget it.

1 Like

Yup totally agree with tmm. Moved away from using access points for everything. Anything major is hardwired into a main switch and I have another in the living room. I didn't want to run a specific line for each device. Seems to be rock solid since I moved away from wifi options. I do use an access point of the living room switch but it is only for cell phones and tablets. Both which do not have ethernet ports.