ABC on TVE “Unimplemented Channel”

Hello

My TVE channel 6001 for ABC has stopped working. I think this happened with the latest update, but I’m not sure.

When I try to view ABC on channel 6001 I get “unimplemented channel”.

I can log into abc app or website and use my Spectrum credentials to watch ABC. But it doesn’t work on TVE.

One thing I’ve noticed. Channel 6001 for ABC (TVE) used to point to Boston ABC channel WCVB HD. But now it seems to want to point to WMUR, New Hampshire’s ABC station. That could be why.

Spectrum gives me access to both NH ABC (channel 781 -WMUR) or Boston ABC (Channel 785 - WCVB). But my TVE used to correctly point to WCVB as it does for me on abc.com. Whereas now it just shows 6001 ABC - Unimplemented Channel WMUR”.

Thoughts?

If you live in Boston, and I am guessing you do based on your username, you can prob pick up all the local channels free with an antenna and HDHomeRun.

I like having cable. I live far outside the city and can’t get many OTA

Update your DVR by clicking the dropdown next to Check for Update, then select Prerelease.

Thanks. That got it working again. Except it is pointing to the wrong ABC. It’s point to WMUR in New Hampshire instead of WCVB in Boston.

Many shows are the same but news and some local programming isn’t. How can 6001 get mapped to the correct ABC? It used to be WCVB

It's up to ABC. They're the one that geo-locates you.
My NBC was geo-located across the country for awhile and eventually straightened itself out.

Thanks.

What’s interesting is if I go to ABC.com without being logged in in shows WMUR (New Hampshire) first and WCVB (Boston) second. I can watch either.

I think this is because I live in northern MA and my ISP (Spectrum) has their internet gateway in a town right next to the NH border.

But then once I log in it properly shows WCVB first, as it should, since I’m in MA.

All these issues are coming from the Provider's end and their agreement with local and national stations, which seem mutable and change without notice. For instance, I'm in Providence and was getting CBS and ABC through TVE, but now see this:

At the same time, a whole bunch of stations I did not receive before now show up. Unfortunately, TVE is still a work in progress that is not exactly stable.

It's also worth noting on the OTA front that a ton of sub-nets in the area are moving around and changing. Scripts bought Ion and is moving their sub-nets to those stations, so for the moment there are a lot of doubles while we wait for contracts to run out and sub-nets to be replaced. Boston is also early into the NetGenTV transition which is going to cause more moves (Providence won't start until later summer, but I pick up all of Boston, too, so I'll be impacted).

Also, even though I can pick up a fair amount of NH and CT stations on OTA (depending upon antenna direction), the geo-location on TVE may select channels I can or cannot receive. You can see that in PBS where I'm getting Boston, Providence, and Hartford, even though I cannot normally pick up the signal of the latter. Also, since Boston and Providence are on very low VHF (5 and 2, respectively), my current antenna cannot pick them up anyway, so TVE is the only way I get them.

If you are in the Boston Market, and don't mind 720P resolution, you can sign up for Locast at $60 per year and get EVERY Boston channel.

Unfortunately, the geo-fence ends right at the border, even though I could spit and hit Massachusetts--and several RI transmitters are actually in that state. Looking forward to Locast coming to RI, though, and eliminating any worry about antennas... although, I guess it is just a race between them and NextGen stability in all conditions! However, for @bostondvr, that would be a perfectly fine solution in my estimation.