Accessing files from Raspberry pi using windows 10

I have my Raspberry Pi running and now testing to see how to do file access from my Windows 10 computer, since the Pi is running the Channels image and designed to run headless. I have searched and found that Samba should be turned on, never heard of Samba before and have never needed it. I googled it and I now know that it is a service/protocol that allows windows to easily share files with a linux system, so that seems like it needs to be turned on.
But when I paste the path given in the Server UI. I get a dialog box for credentials.
What are the credentials I use in this case?

This doesn't seem to be my situation. This is trying to connect and asking for credentials. Are there no credentials that will allow access? I Lookied for the key in the thread you posted in registry, but it is not there. I will try to add the key in the registry and see what happens.

I added that registry key, but still got the credentials screen. On a whim I entered admin as username and admin as password, and Bingo! I'm in.

Update: I got the connection working by using admin admin as the credentials when this dialog came up in File Explorer in Windows 10. I did have to make the PC and discoverable on public networks. A small bar popped up on top of the the file explorer window when I pasted the path into the search bar. I just had to click it. Then it showed up under Network on the left sidebar. I was then able to see and transfer files to the DVR. Then I added a USB thumbdrive to the second 3.0 port and it does show up in file explorer in Winddows 10, but when I try to set it up in the Channels Server UI, I do not see the movies I copied to the drive in a folder called Movies. Here is what the server UI settings look like.

I am wondering if there is a format for the folders on the additional drive.

Paths added under additional storage need to have the same directory structure as the primary storage, but I don't think that's what you're looking for. That option is for content that is already in Channels' DVR recording database.

What you want is further down the settings page as Local Content. (There's also a big purple button there with a "Learn More" link that explains how the feature works.)

1 Like

Great. I didn't notice that BIG purple button LOL. I'll check it out. Thanks!