ADBTuner: A "channel tuning" application for networked Google TV / Android TV devices

Restart the google device.... also make sure you have the right device IP.

1 Like

Definitely the right IP - restarted it - no joy.

I could try a Firestick 4k if you think that would work better/easier?

Did you go into developer settings and enable adb?

I went into developer settings and enabled USB debugging. THEN I saw the prompt.

Thanks for helping me work through this. (Now to connect it all to channels.)

I downloaded someone's channel list for Youtube TV and it's working real well. My next step is to try and add some of the local channels to get this working as well.

My problem is - I think I know how to get the URL (look at the channel list, right click on a channel and copy the URL), but I don't know how to determine the Gracenote ID of the channel.

Any tips? I've scrolled through this a couple of times but I am missing it if someone has already documented this.

1 Like

You can use Zap2it, as descibed here:

Or, OliveTin-for-Channels has an Action that will search for Gracenote Station IDs by channel name:

Thank you very much. This is a goldmine.

You don't really need to do that, as the Gracenote ID is only used by Channels to map one of the imported channels to one in the lineup/guide. It provides an initial mapping when you import the m3u file, but you can also search for the channel callsign in Channels -> Settings -> Sources-> Manage -> Manage Lineup and choose the one you want without worrying about the Gracenote ID. Channels will assign the Gracenote ID for you and it will be present in the backups.

Between ADBTuner and Channels, is there an attempt to stop the stream between recordings on the same channel? I've been recording Seinfeld episodes from TVLand, which make up a large portion of their daily schedule, and I've started to see Youtube TV popping up the "are you still watching?" dialog, pausing, going to the screensaver, and then just recording the screensaver. I extended the "autopause" timeout to 24 hours, but I wonder if we could stop streaming (go back home via a separate deep link URL) before tuning to the next scheduled program, even if it's on the same channel. Seems like maybe it's optimized to just stay on the channel for the next program if the channel doesn't change? It could benefit from some simulation of user activity if it's running as a headless tuner.

Yeah, one of the reasons I had to use 10 seconds negative padding on front and back when recording HBO and ShowTime.... It is not a problem for these channels to use negative padding. This way it closes the streams before starting the next one in the same channel.

Looks like the older 9.9.1 NBC app no longer works, just does endless buffering. The current one works. So some custom scripting would be necessary to get rid of the dark screen effect with current version.

I reviewed my passes and this one was already set for 1 minute before and after. I think I even had two sources and encoder boxes set up when this happened, so I would have expected it to start recording the next episode on the other tuner and stop it on the first a minute later. In any case, I haven't seen it with the 24-hour autopause setting, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

1 Like

I just tried my 9.9.1 NBC app and it worked without endlessly buffering.

1 Like

I checked again and the only channel I saw it on was USA and that was because I tried to record some of the Olympics yesterday. The other channels worked. USA is still not working for me on 9.9.1.

The current NBC and NBC sports apps will work for a while but then will get endlessly stuck buffering in my experience. By that I mean you'll start up a channel and it will play fine for 30 minutes to an hour and then it'll essentially get stuck, all you see is random frames that freeze constantly, like a slideshow. Every once in awhile you'll see it try to buffer and then quickly freeze again. Definitely not my internet connection.

These are Android apps on the ONN, I think the current version is 9.12.1.

What do I need to know to NOT order the wrong HDMI encoder online? Is there a supported, approved, list?

This one is relatively inexpensive and works fine. Link Pi is mentioned fairly often here. This one is even cheaper and should work fine - it just doesn't have HDMI out, so it may be a bit annoying to set up initially. I also have this 4K one that worked great right out of the box, but is also more expensive. I suspect that any HDMI/IPTV encoder that you find on Amazon would do it.

Go with the link pi, you will be happy..

I have two LinkPis and the screenshots and forum posts make them easy to setup. Working flawless.

Until recently I had this working with direct links using the DirecTV app on Fire sticks. However there's a new directv app update and it no longer plays nice with ADBTuner. It seems like the links work but only if the app is already open. I tried disabling compatibility mode which sends the link and changes the channel but ADBTuner isn't detecting there is a stream. Anybody with any ideas on a fix?

Just recently switched back from Fubo to using ADB. I recorded Monday Night Raw tonight on SyFy. It seems like it has a darker look to the feed or darker tint of black. It doesn’t seem like it’s coming from the encoder. Also, when it tunes to the channel I don’t remember it keeping up the NBC logo, LIVE logo, and the profile logo. I have to get it to go away with my remote. Any ideas as to why this would be happening? I don’t remember this happening before.

1 Like