ADBTuner: A "channel tuning" application for networked Google TV / Android TV devices

That link plus compatibility mode worked perfectly! Thank you. Shoulda' posted an hour ago - would've saved me some time - lol..

Been following this project with excitment for some time and decided to give it a try. I purchased one of the Exvist 265 Encoders listed above and paired it with a firestick 4k 2018 I had laying around. Using the POE adapters recommeneded above, I wired everything up and tested with Hulu and Philo.

Playback has been a bit jittery using 10000 bitrate, h.264, TS, VBR, 5 GOP (tried 30 as well), and 24, 30 and 60 FPS.

After getting the Hulu walke up bug, i purchased a Chromecast 4K with Google TV. The tuner seems slow to capture on Hulu and the Philo channels stop working after being selected once. The logs say the tuner timed out after 20

Would any one have any ideas to make it better? Should I try the Uray boxes mentioned above?
My POE switch is only a 10/100, but I do have a better gigabit one on the way. The adapters are still 10/100 though, so not sure how much better it will be. I do have the poe switch daisyed to my gigabit switch my server is on, so I will have full bandwidth at the very least.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have had success with URayCoder 4K https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C5CM33VV/
Maybe because it's got better architecture to handle 4k.

When I had Hulu, I tried several encoders; URay 4K, ISEEV, LinkPi, and Exvist, and never could get rid of my judder. Switched to YTTV and all was good. Something about the Hulu stream for me. I don't have any experience with Philo on ADBTuner, but do you see a video quality difference between the two services? Or, does it stutter on both?

Hulu is really bad.
I kept having my onn boxes logged out.
I use Playon Cloud with Hulu so probably broke things along the way.
Moved it to YTTV and Philo and played a little with Fubo tv.
Trying to get the tugoTV app to work with the app so so far no go.

I've really enjoyed LinkPi encoders. Lot of discussion in the HDMI for Channels thread, starting with my last post.

I might try the LinkPi next.

Philo is fine when it works, but seems slow to resolve.

I might give YTTV a go. I can get a free trial. Hulu some channels are fine and others are jittery. I kbow some of Hulu's feeds, like USA Channel are encoded wrong and cause jitter, but it can be hard to know if its them or my encoder acting up.

Philo does take a bit to resolve.
I don't like the occasional buffering.
YTT is pretty fast.
Doesn't seem to happen on YTTV.
If you need a discount promo code, let me know and we will pass on my link.

LinkPi Setup with ADBTuner

I have read through this and the HDMI for Channels forums repeatedly.
I got a Onn 4k and Digivideo HDMI to IP H.265 h.264 Video Encoder (AliExpress) and set them up according to directions on here with ADBTuner and it work flawlessly for me.

So I decided to jump all in and get the WayPonDEV Link Pi ENC5-V2. I added an Onn 4k to it and set it up in ADBTuner the same as before. Everything is green for both the DigiVideo and LinkPi units in ADBTuner. But when I try to watch or record something using CDVR on the LinkPi "tuner" it just keeps restarting the stream over and over every few seconds.
The LinkPi has the newest firmware: **App version: 2.9.0 build 20231229_1901.
I enabled HTTP and use the link http://192.168.1.41/live/stream1 that it shows. This works with no problems using the Onn remote and VLC. I read where it was said you have to unplug the unit in the past if you make changes and reboot it and I have also tried that repeatedly.

As a side note I noticed in the top menu on the LinkPi if I pull down the menu that says Classic it Shows a choice of Standard but when I click on it never changes from Classic.
Any help in troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated.

@ChannelSam This is a LinkPi quirk and I had the exact same problem. Your stream http://192.168.1.41/live/stream1 is really a redirect to a stream with a port. LinkPi making things looks tidy I suppose. VLC can redirect, but ADBTuner and Channels cannot.

In ADBTuner, change your Streaming Endpoint Link to the direct link with the port:

http://192.168.1.41:8090/stream1

I too have the ENC5-V2. Been using for about seven weeks now and it's been great. Let me know how it goes.

Welcome to Club LinkPi.

1 Like

Question about the LinkPi if you don't mind. Are you able to sync the framerate of the output stream to that of the content?

@Dxcv I've played with that. I know this sounds funny, but try setting your framerate to -1.

I just ordered one, so I will do that when it arrives. Thanks!

Really enjoy the LinkPi encoders and spent lots time tinkering with both the ENC1v3 and ENC5v2. Feel free to ping me with any questions, be glad to assist.

2 Likes

May be time to start a separate LinkPi thread as I saw suggested before.
I feel like I've been driving a basic car before and now I am trying to fly a huge plane with dials and knobs everywhere. :joy:

lol....Thanks @spammedeeper :grin:

I saw i think @turtletank post about that or maybe it was you and thought I tried it. I think I must have forgot to change the .7 to .1 in the address. It was getting pretty late by then.
Went back and tried it again with your suggestion and it is working perfectly. Thank you.
Would you have your current suggestions for the encoding...I am using:

Main stream 1080p H.265 Main CBR 12288 -1 1 close

Was going to try 4k but I had to order some better cables since either the Onn or Roku was complaining about them. Probably doesn't matter much though because I am stuck on 15Mbit DSL service :frowning:

I was wondering if there is an easy way to disable the other tuners for testing in ADBTuner....like an enable/disable switch. Right now I go into channels guide and select the ADBTuner and give the others something to record to keep them busy.

Also I don't seem to be getting any output on HDMI out. I am sure it was there when I started but just black screen now. Here is the preview section on the dashboard.

Any thoughts?

Glad the stream is now working. My encode settings are the same as your except I use H.264 High. I don't see the need for H.265 inside my network as I'm not network constrained.

As to disabling an encoder in ADBTuner, not sure there is an easy way to do so other than remove.

For HDMI out on LinkPi, you don't need Mix enabled. Mix is if you want to have a special blend of multiple input put into an encoded stream. Say split screen, or quad. I have not found this useful yet, but will play in the future.

To enable HDMI out on the box, I have tested this. In the Menu, go to Extend > Video Mix and just enable HDMI and the video source you want as output. Since this output is hardware and not a stream, it will not show as a preview on homepage.

:+1: @spammedeeper

This works...I can change back and forth on the HDMI Video Sources and as soon as I hit save it updates the output. Rotate and Mirror work perfectly also like you would expect. The right half of the screen for VGA must be for a different device.

I think I saw somewhere that this device was in developement. The Mix seems pretty broken on my device right now with newest firmware.

1...I have tried various options up here and none seem to change output even when power cycling the device. I also hit the gear and tried making my own mix and those are no better. I also accidently told it to save one of the old ones and when it saved it it changed it's name to Chinese and won't change it back even though it is English for everything else.

2...Laboratory and Language are smashed together.

3...Dropdown shows Classic/Standard but you can't select Standard.

I was just curious if you also see these issues. I will try and send them a msg through Amazon where I bought this to see if they have some ideas.

Thanks again for all the help.

Good info and thanks for the share. I tinkered with Mix settings for maybe thirty minutes one day. I too found it to be in a less than optimal state. Could not really get it to work well, and not at all some times. I do think it to be experimental.

Do you have need for this mix setup or just playing?

@spammedeeper
Forgot to mention I went ahead a set mine back to x264 encode also...I was just experimenting with x265. I really wanted to get the individual hdmi out working to simplify setting up and experimenting. Don't really need the MIX option right now... Thought it might be good for sports mix or cam mix down the road. Thanks again for everything

1 Like

The ENC5 can handle 5 seperate streams, right?