ADBTuner: A "channel tuning" application for networked Google TV / Android TV devices

I think we can make this pretty easy. Presuming you have Docker Desktop installed:

Copy the following and save it as docker-compose.yml. Doesn't really matter where you save it. ~/Desktop/docker/adbtuner/ would be fine.

version: '2'
services:
  adbtuner:
    image: turtletank99/adbtuner
    restart: always
    init: true
    volumes:
      - adbtuner_config:/app/.config
    ports:
      - "5592:5592"
volumes:
  adbtuner_config:

The open a terminal window and navigate to that directory.
cd ~/Desktop/docker/adbtuner/

Then type the following:
docker-compose up -d

That's it. It should be running and configured to automatically restart.

While in that directory you can type docker-compose logs to see application logs for further troubleshooting if needed.

1 Like

Get Image not found.

docker run -d --init -p 5592:5592 --name adbtuner -v adbtuner_config:/app/.config adbtuner

Should Be

docker run -d --init -p 5592:5592 --name adbtuner -v adbtuner_config:/app/.config turtletank99/adbtuner

1 Like

Thanks. Good catch. I will update the docs.

3 Likes

Is this for only windows machines. Can't get it working in Synology NAS. IP binds to 0.0.0.0:5592

0.0.0.0:5592 would indicate it is bound to all network interfaces.
Is the web interface not available at http://ip.of.docker.host:5592?

2 Likes

No, states internal server error.

1 Like

Did you create the named volume when launching the container?

-v adbtuner_config:/app/.config

2 Likes

I just pasted the docker run command. Wasn't sure how to create the volume. Do I crate new folder in the NAS. I'm not sure how to set this up.

Does this work with Hulu?
How did you get the channel links?

Thanks!

Thanks for walking me through that. I got it up and running to the point of loading the web interface, inputing my streaming devices and encoders, and allowing USB debugging when those prompts popped up on the streaming devices. But when clicking the "Preview" button for the one channel I entered, it spins and spins, and neither streaming device ever tunes. Is there a way to troubleshoot? I've tried it with compatibility mode both off and on.

3 Likes

Yes. Go back into the folder with docker-compose.yml and enter the following command:
docker-compose logs -f

Then try and load the channel and see if the log output in the terminal window helps with troubleshooting.

1 Like

Unfortunately I don't know anything about Synology NAS devices. There is definitely a way to do it as per this screenshot I found online:

If you can add a folder with a mount path of /app/.config I think it might work?

1 Like

OK Thanks I'll try this.

1 Like

Its up and running. Thank you for your help. I hope I can get ADB Turner working. I'm not very pleased with the ChromeCapture way and the Forum for HDMI Output has gotten out of hand, This seems to be what I was looking for.

2 Likes

Hey Kenny, can you help a fellow SEC fan out? I'm also trying to setup on a NAS and I think I'm hitting the same problem as you. How did you solve for the path issue for the setup (see screenshot)?

I created a new folder adbtuner_config and pasted /app/.config in Mount path

create .yml file with text editor

paste this in that file:
docker-compose pull
docker-compose up -d

@turtletank You probably know all this already :slight_smile:, but defined volumes are specialized things in the Docker world, and are stored under /var/lib/docker/volumes. And, if they are created in advance you need to add:

volumes:
  adbtuner_config:
    external:

There are some reasons to love Docker volumes, and some to not. I use both volumes and bindings, but mostly use directory bindings. In this case for people that are already using androidhdmi-for-channels, you might want to consider using a binding to the ~/.android (can't actually use the "~" but you get the idea) directory where their in-use, validated adb keys are already stored.

1 Like

Right!

I intentionally used a named volume to keep everything isolated and simplify the install process.
It wasn't my intention that anyone would ever interact directly with the named volume or even have to be aware of it's existence just to use ADBTuner.

The docker command and compose file I provided will create the necessary volume automatically. Though I guess that doesn't happen on a Synology NAS device?

If an advanced user wants to copy their ADB keys to the docker volume to save a step in approving the connection I'm sure they can figure that out! I don't think everyone has your skillset and in my opinion, the more things that get added the more complex it is for new users to get started.

1 Like

Thanks. Among other info that scrolls by, I get this:

INFO:root:Tuner: Application (com.google.android.youtube.tvunplugged) is not installed. Exiting.

I'm not sure what that is telling me. For what it is worth, these same streaming devices and encoders work with the HDMI for Channels method.

2 Likes

Fire TV? Try com.amazon.firetv.youtube.tv as the package name.

1 Like