ADBTuner: A "channel tuning" application for networked Google TV / Android TV devices

It looks like the issue was with the encoder. I changed to a Orivision encoder and it is working great.

Thanks for all your work on this project.
What I would love to see is a way to time shift the epg for a particular channel.
The issue for me is TCM which I have an east and west feed, but there is only guide data for the east feed. Currently I would have to export the m3u and then edit the file. It would be less maintenance if Channels could read the m3u directly. Does this make sense?

Thanks again!

Love the recent changes with tuner priority.
One other suggestion would be to be able to specify a tuner or range of tuners for certain channels.

@turtletank would it be possible to add the tvg-shift parameter to the m3u as an option?

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="TCMWest" tvc-guide-stationid="64312" tvg-id="TCMWest" tvg-name="TCMWest" tvg-shift="+3",TCM West

I just added the tvg-shift parameter to the generated m3u files in the experimental version. It's listed as "Guide Offset" in the administrative interface.

I need to think about this a bit as it could add a lot of complexity to the user interface and tuner selection code.

Thank you!
I will test it when I get home later today

Edit: Working Perfectly! Thanks again!

@turtletank Does your versions work with DTV-Stream or the Osprey/Gemini?
I know the other version does, just wasn't sure about yours, since I have yours setup already figured I would ask.

1 Like

Tried to set this up with a Gcwgtv and the Foxtel app.

Had to use compatibility mode to load the channels correctly but tuning takes around 20seconds.

Is there anyway or anything I can change to help reduce this tune time?

As I understand it, among other things, compatibility mode kills the app after each virtual tune. It's necessary for quite a few apps though as they don't seem to be designed to accept deep links when they're already open. Obviously no big deal for recordings, but does require an adjustment if you're used to doing a lot of channel surfing.

Oh okay no worries, thanks for that!

As a community developer might see your thoughts on this while I’ve got you.

Was seeing the plausibility of using an old iPad/iPhone as a tuner as that app loads very quickly with deep links.
Made me find a project called iDB - which also seems to have a screen record function for both devices and simulators.

Would be interested to know if this could be used as an alternative to ChromeCapture?

Or would it be even more resource intensive?

A bit out of my wheelhouse with using an iPad or iPhone as a tuner. However, there are several people using AppleTVs with encoders over in our ah4c project. I would think if Foxtel deeplinks work on the iPad, they probably work on the AppleTV -- and might not need the app to be force closed. There's a special build of ah4c that includes pyatv for Apple TV control if you want to experiment.

Oh yep no worries. Will try check it out over the weekend.

Unfortunately there’s no Foxtel app for Apple TV.

Does anyone else have issues with the NBC app? I get this every couple of weeks and the only thing I have found that works is to delete the app and reinstall. Then go through the hassle of activation again, have it not work, then de-activate and reactivate a couple of times. Very frustrating...

For anyone wondering, switching from a Gcwgtv to a shield pro decreased tubing speeds from ~22seconds to ~12 seconds on the Foxtel app.

Any other workarounds anyone knows about?
Tried adding a “singleTask” line to the app and then installing but no luck..

When I had Youtube TV it would work for a few hours then forget the login. Now with D*Stream, it works flawlessly with the NBC App.

Sorry to change the subject - looking for help - I have created a 2nd container/image running the experimental version of adbtuner on port 5594 - it is running, but won't connect to one of the same tuners that I am connected to on the official ADBTuner docker on port 5592 - both versions are running in the same docker desktop environment on my DVR Windows 11 PC - is there are limit of 1 ADB connection for each Onn TV box or something else preventing this from working? My objective was to have parallel versions running and just change the sources setup in CDVR to use either port 5592 or 5594 to switch between versions - is there a better way of doing this?

I used this docker compose

version: '2'
services:
adbtuner:
image: turtletank99/adbtuner:experimental
restart: always
init: true
volumes:
- adbtuner_configx:/app/.config
ports:
- "5594:5592"
volumes:
adbtuner_configx:

I remember reading before that the "tuner" boxes could only be connected to one of the tuner apps...wheather using ADBTuner...or HDMI for Channels...
I have 4 tuning dongles...2 connected to ADBTuner docker and the other 2 connected to an HDMI for Channels docker.
Otherwise there is no way for the different tuners to know if they can use the dongle at any given time.

1 Like

I'm pretty sure that's a limitation of the ADB protocol itself...only 1 connection at a time. Also, right on the ADB config web page:
" Before adding a new tuner, please ensure the following:

• Device has been freshly restarted and isn't actively connected to another ADB server.
  • Device is powered on.
  • Developer Mode is enabled.
  • The device remote is available to approve the connection."

All - thanks for the replies - I was thinking that, since both instances of ADBTuner were running on the same PC, that ADB on the Onn TV would see the attempted connection from the :experimental docker as coming from the same RSA fingerprint, but I guess that's not right...

EDIT: I tried using the exact same docker compose (at the top of this thread) same ports, except I put in the :experimental tag - I stopped the other docker first - the experimental one started up, but same thing - it wouldn't connect to the Onn Box

OK let me ask this another way - is the RSA fingerprint unique to a specific docker and tag, such that ADBTuner:experimental would appear different from the ADBTuner:latest version even if it is running on the same PC and using the same port numbers? If so, would I have to turn off ADB on each Onn box and then re-authorize ADB to the ADBTuner:experimental?

The tag experimental is just for using the Beta image makes no difference ... I believe ADB uses IP fingerprint.

If that's the case - I see in Portainer under "Connected Networks" for the Docker, that each Docker has a unique mac address and IP address used internally - maybe this creates a unique RSA fingerprint for each docker - so maybe I can just stop the :latest docker, change the tag to :experimental and re-start?

One more question - has anyone turned on the "app only" mode on their Onn TV boxes connected to your encoder? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to this? I turned app only mode on my #1 of 3 boxes and I got into a endless cycle of having to authorize ADB again, finally I ignored it and tried tuning a channel and it works, but when the box is idle, it returns to the search menu whereas otherwise it would not