ADBTuner: A "channel tuning" application for networked Google TV / Android TV devices

Gotcha. ADBTuner was using local ip's already. So, all was ok there.

It turns out that I really wasn't using Tailscale for remote playback. It was previously working fine using Port Forwarding. I didn't like having to re-launch Tailscale on my client devices every time a device rebooted. So, I disabled the integrated Tailscale on Channels. I can still use the NAS Tailscale ip:port to access the Channels web GUI.
The only other thing I had to update was to point channels to the proper m3u address.
So far, so good!
Thanks for the help!

Ok, thanks, Aman. When I see things in red, with the word "panic", that's exactly what I do! :upside_down_face:

Finally making headway. Reinstalled Docker, installed Portainer and got ADBTuner and Watchtower installed. I don't know if I have Watchtower installed correctly, it's currently in an "exited" state, but I believe you said that's the way it should be until the next time you want to run it. I haven't figured out how to install OliveTin yet, and I'm not sure I understand why I need it.

After getting everything running, I was right back where I was yesterday. Out of desperation, I decided to turn off compatibility mode from one channel - and it worked! I thought I read where Philo had to have compatibility mode enabled, but if it works, it works. I'm still trying to figure out the nuances of using ADBTuner. It was starting at the beginning of a show, but I couldn't skip forward. I set Philo to start at live and I think that fixed it, but if I get out of Channels, go back in and start watching the same show again, it picks up where it left off. The tuner is being released, so I don't know if there's another setting I need to tweak.

Watchtower stays dormant until it checks and I think the default is every 60 minutes. If you check the logs it should say.

If Watchtower is installed via Project One-Click, it's set up in "run once" mode. Which means you get to choose when to update your containers in Portainer. Tick the box for Watchtower and click run, and any running container will get updated.

In other words, running containers are updated when installing Watchtower, but won't be updated again until the "exited" Watchtower container is run again. This way, if an updated container starts misbehaving it's immediately obvious why.

Preferences vary for this kind of thing of course, but having used Watchtower for a few years, I found this approach to have the most benefit for the least downside.

Anybody have any ideas to this issue? I basically have to back out of it and go back into it to get that overlay to go away. I know I am running an older version of ADBTuner but don't know if this got fixed in an earlier software update. I am most update on my Google Chromecast with Google TV and NBC app.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A6JiZTW3dZgiQCVtKroyvF6qnpbEgvlS/view

OliveTin is a toolkit, designed to be something of a catch-all for all of the interesting things users have figured they can do with Channels -- outside of what's supported directly through the CDVR WebUI.

Extending the toolkit analogy a bit -- it's the difference between having a Crescent wrench and a socket set. Both are capable of doing the same job, but the socket set often makes that same task easier and more enjoyable to perform. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wonder if something has changed with the Philo app. I use DirecTV myself, and a recent app update has now made deeplinks trickier to use. Now, the DTV app has to be running first, before deeplinks are accepted. This has created a chicken-and-egg scenario, where neither compatibility mode nor standard mode work as expected.

Compatibility mode kills the app after each tuning cycle, which means deeplinks won't work on the next tuning cycle. However, if the app is already running (in "standard" mode) everything seems to work fine, until the a scenario arises where the app needs to be launched -- when tuning will fail as the deeplink is ignored on launch.

It might be worthwhile for you to try another streaming service on a trial basis, and if everything works as expected with it, something with the Philo app may be the cause.

I’ve been trying to read through the thread to see what I need to get it installed, but it’s 806 posts long. The Gracenote lookup would be extremely helpful. There’s just so much info - it’s like trying to drink from a fire hose. I’m a Cisco Enginerd, so it takes me a while to get through and understand the scripts.

I think everything is working ok, just the compatibility mode is unexpected. Maybe I misread something and I had it backwards. I’m still reading through this thread too.

@turtletank you have any ideas?

The last time I tested it, the Philo app would fail when loading a second URL if it wasn't restarted first. It would look like it's ok, but when you try to load another channel it just wouldn't load. Perhaps they fixed that? Can you confirm it will load a second channel correctly?

The dark overlay is a bug in all of the NBC apps. A few people here worked around that issue by sideloading an older version (9.9.1), but at some point I believe that version stopped working correctly for some content. I will take another look and see if I can find some sort of reasonable workaround.

1 Like

Truth be told. I moved away from using the NBC App and decided to just use the Osprey Boxes for DTV stream. The APP would always do something stupid, then work for a few weeks and then totally hose things up...Most of the reason I moved to ADBTuning was for the Peacock Stations and the NBC app was just terrible. AH4C is better for my personal use.

2 Likes

In general, the network apps are all buggy and poorly supported by the networks. Providers such as YouTube TV, Hulu Live, Sling, Fubo, and Philo have much better apps that respond well to loading content via URLs.

As you know, no deep links with DTV, but ah4c does a great job with that!

1 Like

Actually we do now have deeplinks for DTV, but they're a bit tricky to capture and are more variable based on subscriber plan and location than some of the other streaming services. They were working with ADBTuner, but a recent app update seems to have killed that compatibility -- so the net result is pretty much the same as you said, which is that ah4c remains the way to go with DTV.

I wasn't sure if you meant having another device streaming a 2nd channel or changing to another channel on the same device. I tested both ways and can confirm it works. On the same device, I see it cycling to different Fire Sticks when I change channels (I have 3). I also tested with just one Fire Stick and that also worked fine. It takes 5-10 seconds for a channel to load.

Thanks @turtletank for the information! I thought I was going crazy or something. I will just for now manually back out and go back into it.

Yeah, the issue was usually caused by changing to another Philo channel on the same device. That's great that it is fixed.

Is there a way to stop Philo from picking up where it left off when going back to a channel? It's kind of annoying. I think it gives you the option if you manually go back to the channel, but not when using ADBTuner. This isn't the start from the beginning thing - it's where I'll watch a channel, leave for a while, then when I go back it picks up where it left off.

Hi there,
did you set your account to play from live rather than starting from beginning in account settings?
I'm using my two Android ONN boxes and it seems to work ok here.