ADBTuner: A "channel tuning" application for networked Google TV / Android TV devices

URL, containing "asset" is a reference to particular program, I believe. You have to refer to channels like this, using /1/channel//watch:
{
"provider_name": "Sling TV",
"number": 9036,
"name": "Bravo",
"url": "Stream Live TV Now | Get Started",
"package_name": "com.sling",
"alternate_package_name": "",
"compatibility_mode": false,
"tvc_guide_stationid": "58625",
"guide_offset_hours": 0
}

1 Like

So I can confirm this is definitely an issue with the latest version of the NBC app. I didn’t realize that an apk specific to android tv for the older version of the app 9.9.1 existed on apkmirror.com I downloaded and installed 9.9.1 android tv on my onn device and sure enough the west coast channels play and even better, the dimming issue is gone.

2 Likes

Have a quick question for developers.

Was there something specific about the slingtv app that made it not possible to keep it running and exit to something like the guide when the video is stopped? I had some spare time and was experimenting with a slingtv and ADBTuner and noticed that every time I stopped a video it quit the app completely and had to restart the app each time before tuning again.

I have youtubetv configured with ah4c (non docker) and I set it so that when a video stops it actually goes to a neutral screen keeping the app running. This makes for much faster tuning.

I can tune a channel in 4 or so seconds that way. Using slingtv the way it is configured in ADBTuner takes around 15 seconds to start the slingtv app and tune the channel. This makes browsing a bit cumbersome.

Is this by design due to some technicality with the app?

Here is a link to a video comparison of channels tuning where the app stays running vs when it is existed completely.

Update: I did some manual testing and found where even exiting to the Home Screen instead of killing the app completely when the video stops speeds up the tuning speed to 5 seconds.

A simple:

adb -s 192.168.1.133 shell "input keyevent 3"

Keeps the slingtv app ready in the background.

In ADBTuner, the Compatibility Mode setting toggles this behavior for each channel.

With Compatibility Mode enabled the target app will be restarted before loading content. This option is provided as some apps just will not load content from a URL if the app is already open.

I don’t recall if the Sling app needs to be restarted but you can test by disabling Compatibility Mode.

Hmmm. doesnt exit to a position of rest. I monitor it on vlc and notice it keeps a video going.

1 Like

What Android device are you using? Can you share docker logs for when this happens? ADBTuner sends keyevent 86 (KEYCODE_MEDIA_STOP) to the device to stop video playback. Does that not stop playback in the Sling app?

The command stops the video. But for sling tv it brings you to a screen where the item that is automatically highlighted begins to play then goes to full screen mode after a couple of seconds. I haven't checked an around in the app to see if there is an option to disable autoplay just yet.

Update: Disabled autoplay and all is well now.

1 Like

Hi,

I set up my Linkpi ENC5v2 successfully with an onn device. Then added a few NBC channels to ADBTuner and they worked OK. The next step was to add the key apps for me: SNY and Gotham (for MSG+, which is now part of this new Gotham app). They work fine with the remote. But ADBTuner can't tune to either one of these apps. The onn never leaves the Home screen. I used stream links that work on a Chrome web page with no issue. ADBTuner settings below. Am I missing something?

Thanks very much for any input.
{
"provider_name": "Optimum",
"number": 9000,
"name": "SNY",
"url": "https://sny.tv/watch-now",
"package_name": "tv.sny",
"alternate_package_name": "tv.sny",
"compatibility_mode": true,
"tvc_guide_stationid": "",
},
{
"provider_name": "Optimum",
"number": 9001,
"name": "MSG",
"url": "Gotham Sports",
"package_name": "com.gothamsports.gotham.tv",
"alternate_package_name": "com.gothamsports.gotham.tv",
"compatibility_mode": true,
"tvc_guide_stationid": "",
},

Yeah...I don't think adbtuner will work for that unless they have a link directly to the stream so I think your best bet is using ah4c instead