Advice for a newbie please

Hi.

I'm in the UK and have just started my Channels DVR adventure. I've ordered a HomeRun Quattro, Raspi4, & WD USB3 Storage for the server side, but keep going round in circles for the best hardware for the client and would really appreciate some advice.

A bit of background

I have a Node Red based Home Automation system and control all of my existing AV gear using IP control for automated tasks. But for "normal" control and for an acceptable WAF it is all controlled using an IR remote that controls nothing directly but has it's commands received and interpreted by Node Red which then sends the appropriate IP commands. Sounds complicated but actually works very well as I can create my own "Harmony" style activities but using a fairly basic IR remote and I have complete control over what each button does - eg some spare buttons on the remote also control lights.

I understand I can control Channels DVR itself using IP, but would ideally also like to control the main client device itself that way (if only to get it to start up in the Channels DVR app when everything is switched on). I do have a backup IR sender that Node Red can access but much prefer IP if possible.

I currently use a Roku to access YouTube and the UK catch-up apps like BBC iPlayer etc.

I know Channels DVR can't run on a Roku, so the idea is to replace that with another device that can, ideally do all of this:

Run Channels DVR client
Has YouTube, and the UK catch up apps like BBC iPlayer etc
Can be controlled by IP (or at the very least IR, not just bluetooth)
Has a LAN connection ( I have a LAN switch directly behind the TV so seems a waste to use Wifi)

I've looked at Apple TV, Fire Cube, Chromecast, Nvidia Shield and Generic Android boxes but so far haven't found one that gives me all of the above. I'm leaning towards an Android box but there are so many of them it is hard to know what quality you are getting and what sellers to trust.

It seems BBC iPlayer is especially picky on what it will run on so it maybe that I end up continuing to use the Roku for Youtube/iPlayer and get a new device specifically for Channels, but if I can find one device that does it all it would be great.

Any UK users with any advice on client devices please?

As a separate general question, does Channels DVR have the ability to go directly to a specific channel from a numeric button press? A lot of the client devices I'm looking at don't even have a numeric keypad on the remote, but I would like to retain the quick and easy "press 1 for BBC1, 3 for ITV" functionality if possible. Is that possible on Channels DVR?

Thanks in advance

Geoff

Lots of different ways to attack this, but from personal experience I can tell you that all this can be done on a FireStick 4K Max. The FireTV Cube would also work, and so should the Chromecast 4K w/Google TV. Ethernet ports can be added via OTG dongles on the Sticks and is built-in on the Cube.

These Android devices can be controlled by IP using the Android Debug Bridge (ADB), and I think you'll find there's support in Node Red for adb. Apps can be opened, and anything you can do with a remote can be sent using an ADB command.

I'm not sure this helps as your requirements and ingredients are different. But for what it's worth, I accomplished this with an old Logitech Harmony Companion remote:

And here's my even older Harmony 650 remote, in another room:

Best of luck with the rest of your project!