After emptying trash, files still exist at the OS level

Please go to Support -> Troubleshooting -> Submit Diagnostic Logs from the web interface of the DVR and let us know when it's been submitted so we can have a better idea of what was going on.

1 Like

Done. Thank you.

1 Like

In your diagnostics I see 5 recordings that have been deleted in the DVR. When you delete them, they are put into the "Trash" in the DVR to be deleted after a configured amount of time. Your configured amount of time is 1 day. The recordings that you deleted yesterday are scheduled to be deleted this evening.

The 5 on Your Side at 10 PM 2023-03-12-2159.mpg is scheduled to be deleted at around 2023-03-13 20:48:38 -0700.

Thank you, Eric. The recordings in Trash are not the issue (at least not yet). I'm familiar with the way the Channels deletes files. The problem I've been having is that many recordings have not been removed, even after emptying Trash. I was running out of disk space and had to delete them at the OS level because Channels did not.
Yesterday, after updating to a pre-release Channels deleted several files but many remained. See my previous message regarding the example of "Unsellable Houses". "Perry Mason" is another example. There are 102 files in the show directory but there are only 44 shows in the Library. I can certainly clean them up manually but it's guesswork to remove the shows we've seen.

Thanks,
Larry

1 Like

There are now 25 recordings in Trash. The recording you pointed out has not been deleted from the system. There are other recordings that have also not been deleted. The message no longer reads "Scheduled to be removed today" It now reads "Scheduled to be removed soon".
I have just now submitted diagnostics.

Thank you.

If it is showing in the trash, then it would not have been removed from the file system yet.

This thread is getting a little confusing. Let's settle on some terms to use so that we're very clear about everything:

• Recording - the record in the Channels DVR Server database
  • Show - The group in the Channels DVR Server database that collections Recordings
  • File - the actual video file on the file system

Please try not to use these interchangeably so things are more clear.

Got it..
Anyway, several of the Files in Trash should have been "emptied" automatically by now but have not. The diagnostics I sent this morning should list those files. If that does not help, please let me know what I can provide that will best demonstrate this issue.

1 Like

This is very unclear. What leads you to believe that the items in the Trash "should" have been removed?

If they are there, then their time remaining in the trash before they are automatically removed has not run out. That's what I would believe, as we haven't had any other reports about Trash not emptying items as they should.

So again, what leads you to believe they should be gone, but yet are still there?

2 Likes

This from eric, 2 days ago. The file he gave as an example is still in Trash.

Thanks for continuing to work with us on this issue. It appears that you've run into another issue that is related to this one:

Your DVR is stuck in an internal process that deletes old recordings, which is why they aren't getting deleted.

Can you try to update to the latest pre-release? We don't have a fix for this, but it will cause your DVR to restart, which may make it delete like it should.

We'll have to continue to research why we are seeing these issues on Windows.

Can you submit diagnostics again?

Done.

Thank you for continuing to follow up. I'm okay with doing whatever you suggest,
Update done: A lot of deletions occurred as you thought they would. I suppose I could also try restarting the Windows Service periodically, yes?

Version
Up to date!

Thanks,
Larry

The next time you see recordings not being deleted when they should, please submit diagnostics again, wait 5 minutes and submit them again and then let us know.

1 Like

Will do.

Done.
I restarted the DVR service after I submitted diagnostics. Sixteen files were deleted when it was restarted.

I submitted diagnostics 3 days ago. Do I need to resubmit?

Thanks.

Nope. Those submissions are enough. Thanks for getting us this info.

The problem may have been fixed. I haven't seen any "older" files in the trash for several days. I'll keep checking periodically.

Thanks,
Larry

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.