ALCS Game 3 is on FS1

Here’s yesterdays game started late, it’s 2.5 hours you can do the bit math. Looking back it looks like that’s the bitrate for the baseball games. Maybe it was football that had 20s or I’m mistaken about 20.

holy smokes, batman! I can confirm that is true. I found this thread and checked my recording and found it was 3840 by 2160. I'm on Comcast in PA.

Here are some of the details.
Video
ID : 256 (0x100)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main [email protected]@Main
Codec ID : 36
Duration : 2 h 47 min
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 59.940 (60000/1001) FPS

1 Like

I am currently recording Football in 720p or 1080i HD (CBS/NBC are 1080i, and Fox/FS1/BTN are 720p).

OTA stations run about 7 GB after commercials edited out, and cable stations like FS1 or BTN are a bit smaller than that ... like 4-5 GB.

while it looks like your codec is H265/HEVC, the data appears to show a 1080p recording not a 2160p recording (4K) - am i missing something?

if it were a simple quadruple of the file size from HD to 4K I would be well within a 50GB disc, but since i am new, a lot of unknowns here...

It's also too bad that 4k video is limited to stereo audio on TVE

:slight_smile:

That 1080 stat is wrong. It might be because the recording started on a commercial

I don’t think you will have a problem with 50gb, the 4k baseball playoffs are averaging about 5GB per hour.

Agreed

1 Like

The 4K broadcasts aren't that much larger than regular 1080i broadcasts because H.265 is a nearly 20 years newer standard than ATSC 1.0/MPEG-2.

1 Like

Good luck using VRD. It won't output the 10bit HDR and will convert output to 8bit HDR. I also had issues using it as it was really slow seeking around the 4K 10bit HDR recording.
Also comskip will take forever if you enable it for those 4K HDR recordings.

Avidemux seems to work for my cablecard 4k/hevc as far as the HDR metadata goes

as VideoRedo is officially a zombie program, i am open to what the next best latest and greatest would be to get me HDR, 10/12 bit.. and all the other new-fangled bells and whistles.

It served me well and i am sad to see it go, but time marches on, and if you don't have a succession plan......

how much better is it than H.264?

At 5GB per hour, I can use my regular old 25GB discs then; maybe even get 2 games on 1 disc

Just tried using Channels to get the FS1 4K stream and it works. I've set my Fire Stick 4K to be adaptive so I don't lose my eye sight on my Roku 4K TV :rofl::joy: and make sure it was HDR as the TV would flash the HDR flag but it's clear as hell here

1 Like

I'm recording this stream as well, looking forward to digging into it tomorrow

I'm not sure. There aren't any H.264 channels that I regularly watch/record. I think the only H.264 sports channels I get are the FOX 720p ones and maybe BeIN Sports. Everything else is MPEG-2.

I recorded the game, and when opening it up in VRD, the commercials were fine, but the game itself was a split screen .. left and right, that was so weird. and everything looked darker - and even in playback, the players were kinda moving in slow motion...... - I mean i wanted to play around with it, but that was just strange.... maybe i was missing a setting in either the recording or on VRD

I don't use VRD for 4k 10-bit HEVC since it doesn't support it.
I don't edit 4k 10-bit HEVC, so not sure what video editor to use for it.

only getting 720P in Game 7 ? No 4K

I got it.