All Apple TV clients listed as “Apple TV” instead of custom name in tvOS 16

I'm super impressed with how quick you implemented that! Good to know we at least have renaming ability while you sort out everything else. Thanks!

1 Like

I think the Apple TV client isn't handling the name changes.

Renamed client

Status shows old name

Client shows Apple TV still in Support.

Sent debug from client and from server
a4efea3a-58c0-48bb-a9aa-89fe7115b076

It also seems to have reset the local customizations on the client. All of the sidebar navigation icons are back, I had some of them hidden.

Ahh good catch, it's not utilizing the alias there. We'll get it fixed up.

And just to be clear, this does not rename the actual Apple TV or inside its client. It's just an alias used in Channels DVR Server.

For example, people have multiple homes, so they have two "Family Room"s showing up. This allows them to add a namespace in the web admin, without having to do it on the actual device.

1 Like

This is resolved in the latest pre-release:

2 Likes

Server side looks great!

2 Likes

@maddox @tmm1
I think I found a huge bug. I went into rename a client just to test (I am not on tvos16). I was watching my ipad at the time and I renamed my bedroom ATV. As soon as I clicked save, my channels client dumped me out to the main DVR screen (on my ipad). Now on any device connected to my server, android, ios, tvos, I get recording not found (-13) no matter what I try and play. Every device I have is down now :frowning: I submitted diags

OK so that is either the fastest fix in history or you were already working on a fix. I just applied 2022.09.12.2045 and now it works fine.

1 Like

lol, we had already covered it. I was just about to mention to update :smile:

1 Like

I've updated to tvOS 16 on both AppleTVs, as well as iOS 16 on my iPhone. I then updated to the latest pre-release of Channels DVR, and the latest TestFlight of Channels client on all three devices. I then followed the video example above, renaming the clients to "TV in Living Room," "TV in Bedroom," and "Channels on iPhone."

However when I use the Channels client app to play a show, the popup still offers "AppleTV," "AppleTV (2)," and "iPhone." Also when I go to Settings → Support → Device Display Name, on each client, I see these are still the names being listed, not the renamed titles that I'd entered in the webUI. So the changes aren't being recognized. I restarted the devices and tried again, no change. What else should I be trying?

1 Like

Yes, tvOS 16 will not provide the actual name without an entitlement. We've applied for it (for 4 apps) and can't do anything until we hear back from them. If for some reason we get rejected, we'll have to implement a naming system inside the actual app. We do not want to do this as most people won't know to even do it. So we're hoping Apple moves fast on these entitlements.

All the server change did was give you a way to rename it in the web admin so you can at least identify them for now.

Ah, OK, that makes sense! Happy to be patient. Thanks for the explanation.

Hang tight...

1 Like

I see the display name in the newest AppleTV beta, however, I can’t change it. Am I missing something or is this yet to come?

You can change it from the DVR web UI under Clients

Yeah, I already changed it there. However, it hasn’t shown up or propagated to any of the AppleTV’s as of yet…

Because it’s not supposed to. It’s only server side.

1 Like

Y’all gotta slow your roll. I explained multiple times in this thread that it didn’t do that.

Ok, as of the latest TestFlight beta and pre-release…it does that.

1 Like

Confirmed, now working, exactly as described. Patience has paid off! :smiley:

Maddox, thank you so much for your quick response. That said, my main issue currently is with Channels actions from the Shortcuts app. When I try to select a particular Apple TV, they’re still all named “Apple TV” even though I have renamed each in the client page of the Channels server beta. I’m also running the latest tvOS/iOS beta build. Have I missed something?

1 Like

Mea Culpa: I thought it was supposed to do that from the start, I saw the client release notes and the associate DVR improvements and thought that the client was supposed to be in sync with the server.

1 Like