All Apple TV clients listed as “Apple TV” instead of custom name in tvOS 16

Yeah, I already changed it there. However, it hasn’t shown up or propagated to any of the AppleTV’s as of yet…

Because it’s not supposed to. It’s only server side.

1 Like

Y’all gotta slow your roll. I explained multiple times in this thread that it didn’t do that.

Ok, as of the latest TestFlight beta and pre-release…it does that.

1 Like

Confirmed, now working, exactly as described. Patience has paid off! :smiley:

Maddox, thank you so much for your quick response. That said, my main issue currently is with Channels actions from the Shortcuts app. When I try to select a particular Apple TV, they’re still all named “Apple TV” even though I have renamed each in the client page of the Channels server beta. I’m also running the latest tvOS/iOS beta build. Have I missed something?

1 Like

Mea Culpa: I thought it was supposed to do that from the start, I saw the client release notes and the associate DVR improvements and thought that the client was supposed to be in sync with the server.

1 Like

We'll get there.

That change was specifically for Apple as part of the rules to get the Entitlement to be able to use the device name again, is that we have to show the customer what their device is displaying as.

shows what your device name will be displayed as

SHOWS

:rofl:

Cool, no pressure. I just wanted to be sure I wasn’t missing something. You’re doing a great job and it is VERY much appreciated! :grinning:

The Alias names are not working when picking a client with an alias for “play to”. Diagnostics submitted from the app used “play to”

Thanks

1 Like

Bonjour is not advertising the alias. Thanks.

Edit. You’re too quick! Thanks.

It's all the same stuff!

Ok, with the latest TestFlight beta, you can now edit the display name. This means you can edit it on the client, or via the server. As with server side settings, the server edited name wins, and you can't edit it on the client when it's set on the server.

Additionally, if you remove the server edited name, it will stay on the client until you edit it there, just like how server side settings work.

If you clear the edited display name on the client, it will fall back to using the system provided device name.

Also in this build, the attached HTTP server restarts whenever the display name is edited, so your devices will advertise the correct way in Shortcuts and Play To.

NOTE: this current build still has the setting in Settings > Support. Another build is behind it that fixes it to put it in Settings > General correctly.

1 Like

I’m still not seeing the Alias name when trying to create a Channels shortcut action. Instead all of my Apple TV’s are still shown as “Apple TV”. Any thoughts?

You'll need to make sure the Channels apps is opened on all of those devices when you open the Channels app on your iPhone, to have their names refreshed.

1 Like

Setting is now under Settings > General.

That seemed to do the trick. However, I have one Apple TV that appears three different times. Any thoughts?

This is just a side effect of the fact that we have to cache the clients it sees ahead of time, so the the Shortcuts can work. We implement numerous ways to ensure we don't dupe devices or update them if their names change, but there's still room for them to get stale.

I knew this day would eventually come when we first did this. We'll look into adding a little section in Support to let you manage the clients it's "remembering".

1 Like

So then, it really shouldn’t matter which one of the duplicates I select in the Shortcuts app, correct?