AndroidHDMI for Channels (ah4c): A virtual channel tuner using HDMI Encoder(s) + streaming stick(s)

I forgot to re-edit the script after updating and lost my first recording that was on "E! HD" due to the space. Can the double- and single-quotes be added to the xfinity script permanently if you don't think it will break anything else @bnhf? Thanks!

Done. Pushed as bnhf/ah4c:latest (aka bnhf/ah4c:2026.09.30).

After playing MeTV for about 3 hours, I stopped the stream and waited for that tuner to be idle. Multiple subsequent tunes to different channels failed on that virtual tuner. One has to wonder if the DTV app will ever be reliable enough to be able to keep it warm.

Womp womp. Nevermind then. This is why I use the FC bridge or an Osprey.

To be honest I love the Osprey UI so much sometimes I wonder why I pay for Channels. It's very good.

Edit: after some thought, I need to step away from development and Channels etc at least for now. I've spent ton of late nights working on things and I'm not sure how healthy it is. Staying up until 3 am working on bash scripts with work the next day begins to accumulate. I think it may be best for now to just use provider apps and check in sometime in the future. Sorry if I am letting anyone down, I just realized that I haven't really enjoyed watching TV in quite a while and have spent a ton of time trying to work around restrictions, get things working or spending money on hardware. I love how beautiful ah4c has become and I am so glad to have been a part of it, but at least for a bit I need a break. I also do wish more effort was put in by the dev team into the Android client which is a big thing for me given the recurring cost. It is my preferred platform and I have an Apple TV for Channels only which feels wasteful to me when my Shield now sits idle yet I'd rather use it!

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that. You will definitely be missed! Thanks for the work you've done on ah4c. Others will benefit from it for some time to come.

3 Likes

I've tried all of the closed captioning engines over the last few days. I think Cohere with Roll-up, 2 lines and a 2.0 sentence length is the best we've seen so far. I watched a show with my wife, being careful not to say "notice the subtitles," and she didn't have any complaints.

Ideally I'd like to run captioning after the show is complete, because the difference is noticeable. It doesn't look like there's a way to scan the file after it's finished and inject captions into the file's metadata the way ah4c is doing in real time. I tested a 30-minute show and captured an srt with Openwhisper-XXL and the large-v2 model in 8 minutes using the NVIDIA card on my Windows machine. The quality in terms of accuracy and appearing when the words are spoken instead of 2-3 seconds later is unmistakable. I didn't expect them to work, but neither an srt dropped next to the recording nor a muxed mp4+srt > mkv were recognized by Channels. I'm going to keep up not saying anything for a few days and see if the captions cause any complaints. Thanks for your hard work, @mackid1993. Enjoy your rest!

Thanks. I'm sure I'll be back. Just got to make sure I get to sleep at a reasonable hour and I've noticed too much of my time has been spent on "watching" the tv instead of watching tv. I just need one set top box and my shows, unfortunately right now less code and less maintenance is better for my brain. I realized that after staying up until 3 am again trying to get the directv app scripts working. Today I also realized I've been a bit obsessive and perfectionistic with my work when I really need to focus on my day job and health etc. I have to say I love the community here and that was the primary draw. I will likely watch and see how things evolve, hopefully the devs patch up the android client at some point too. I guess my otther blocker was I bought 10 fire sticks for the Fast Channels bridge and then started getting weird ads when watching live TV which I mainly do so I'm used to sitting through them. I tried to propose an opt-in solution and was told no after spending a ton of energy, that plus sometimes no sleep and spending too much extra money on hardware I guess I realized I need to keep it simple. In all honestly getting shot down on DAI even as a hidden variable ~300 lines of code in it's own file with a few hooks really stung after the amount of time I spent on adjacent tools and also getting that to report properly and target correctly.

Not to mention someone took my whole thought process for Clicker and just scraped it into their own client with no originality. Even using the same language I chose. No unique thought. MIT FOSS is FOSS but still.

1 Like

Take care of yourself first and get back to doing what's best for you. Remember, it's only TV.

1 Like