Apologies - but has everything been broken?

I have a pretty simple set-up - M1 mini, 2 HD Homerun 2-tuner tuners, viewing on a few different generations of AppleTVs and iOS devices. Everything was working perfectly - could access and watch/delete/record local shows from remote locations (cabin with good Internet access on AppleTV) as well as on my iPad when traveling. I could also access the DVR from my warehouse on an AppleTV hooked into an old monitor - spent a lot of time praising the joy of working with Channels -

But in the last 2 weeks or so, the whole system seems to be failing, slowly - First, some recorded shows on the DVR could be seen in the recordings list, but could not be found to play (forgot the error) on AppleTVs hooked in wirelessly, but seemed to play fine from hardwired ones. Then, the AppleTVs are frequently not showing OTA show titles (just Station ID & time), and many shows that should have recorded (and always did reliably) did not. I have also lost all access to the DVR remotely on my AppleTVs or iPad, not able to reach server - This is all after having everything working pretty flawlessly for a couple years ++ -

The changes I am aware of are updated OS on the mini, updated Channels, updated firmware on HD Homeruns, and updated software on Ubiquiti Dream machine router, plus updated AppleTVs, and updated iOS on iPad - so, yeah, almost everything - but because the biggest problem is the remote access, I'm wondering is there is some updated firewall issue in the MacOS or the Unifi OS that I need to add or change, or is it in Channels? And how do I figure out why I can no longer see show titles on the guide? And why is to only most, not all of them?

Very frustrating - on many levels. I understand the desire to keep adding more and more features, but when (what I feel are) basic capabilities with some good/basic hardware becomes this problematic, it makes me wonder if there is a better option available - I don't want to live on support forums to keep this working, especially reading through all kinds of unusual programming set-ups, but it's beginning to feel like thats what it takes -

Help???

1 Like

Do your wired LAN devices go through an Ethernet switch? If so, try power cycling the switch.

They do, but the entire system got a hard reset a couple days ago (Gracias, PG&E!) The wired devices can connect and access all recorded content - it’s the wireless ones that have had a problem with just one or two shows (I promise to record the message next I see it) - I just took a picture of the guide, and it appears that the show titles in the on-the-hour schedule show as only the station number & @ time, while those shows that start on the half hour are showing their full correct title - and going into the Scheduled Recordings, I see multiple shows (news, primarily) that have been getting recorded without fail for the last couple years, that are now showing no upcoming recordings - ??

Do you have complete guide data on the DVR web admin guide?

Just station call sign @ time means missing guide data.

Ok - that helps -

I went through and deleted / reinstalled things, turned off then on a bunch of settings, re-loaded guide data and rebuilt everything, and things seem to be working much better. I seem to be able to access the DVR through my phones data plan, and I will try testing from the warehouse tomorrow. I wish I didn’t have to spend as much time as it took to track this down, but I’m glad to have it working (hopefully) again -

But I still wish I knew what broke it -

1 Like

And I'm now at the warehouse, and I cannot access the DVR - scanning the QR code gets me nowhere, logging in on my phone and entering the numeric code doesn't work, except that if I hit the "authorize anyway" option, it says success, but never connects -

Extremely frustrating!! It was all working flawlessly for so long, and now, even though Channels says everything is working correctly (all green lights on setup) I can't get anywhere, and can't figure out why -

Something is going on with your router because the port forwarding is not working. What kind of router are you using?

I would advise:

• static dhcp reservation on your router for your mac
  • port forwarding settings on the router going to that static IP
  • set DVR to manual port forward mode
  • check portchecker.co at home to make sure it says 8089 is OPEN

You can also setup the new Tailscale option as a backup.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.