Apple Announces Apple TV 4K With A15 Bionic Chip and HDR10+ for $129

They really should have gone this route.

30pin

3 Likes

The reauth process is a bit of of pain though as is changing settings and and connecting to various BT devices etc. Home Screen sync is a nice additionā€¦.but I have more streaming apps now so itā€™s a wash as far as time spent for me.

Just finished doing this and looks like Iā€™ll be doing it all over again since I just preordered the new model and the one I just bought on the Amazon deal is going back. Looks like I can procrastinate returning it until just after the new one arrives.

Just bought 2021 model 2 days ago, had no idea a new one was comingā€¦.lol.
Paid $129 for the 64 (although the 32 probably would have been fine), trying to figure out if I should return it and buy the new one. I would definitely want the Ethernet port so it would cost me an extra $20 which is not a big deal, just not sure if itā€™s worth the hassle or not.

The one I have seems to work great for me, I love it!

1 Like

And when the Apple TV is charged via a usb c cable, then you won't see that in the box either :wink:

Ofcourse by then we'll have contactless charging and we'll have a solar powered Apple charger remotely powering every apple device in the home including your car!

1 Like

Any real advantages of this over a Shield Pro as a client for Channels and Plex? Iā€™m not a huge fan of Android so any decent advantages and Iā€™m up for the switch!

2 Likes

I have both and use the ATV-4K almost exclusively. The ATV-4K controls my AVR very smoothly and powers on/off the whole system. The ATV-4K remote stays on the coffee table and all the other remote stay in the coffee table drawer. The PQ is better on the ATV also.

3 Likes

We consider the Apple TV to be the best streaming device available. There's a premium price on it, but it's worth it.

5 Likes

Thanks both, looks like a potential upgrade on the horizon for me then as I feel like (and it could just be in my mind) the AI upscaling introduces audio sync issues in my setup on the Shield, and that was one of the main reasons I bought the newer version.

Iā€™m in the same boat but am curious enough to see what the improved performance gets me that I pre-ordered the new model. With the Appleā€™s veterans discount, the 128gb model came out to about the same price.

Frankly, I didnā€™t see much performance difference for my use case (spare room, using a ~30ā€ computer monitor Bluetooth or sometimes AirPlay audio) between the older 4K version it replaced. But the new one will likely end up in the living room.

And like others, Iā€™ll end up with all a 3 versions of the 4K and in my case 32, 64 and 128 gb.

I :100: agree with others that for the two new models the 128gb model with Ethernet is the obvious choice.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm considering replacing our problem-prone NVIDIA Shield with this ethernet connected AppleTV and would like some advice.
Background:
Our 2018 Shield box is running 9.1.0, has a 4TB Western Digital external drive attached via USB (recording mostly local news and sports, a few weekly home improvement programs, and not anywhere near full). We have two dual OTA tuners connected to the router via HDHomeRun. Within the last month, we have had near-daily problems getting Prime, HBO, Netflix, Hulu and other apps to play videos properly.. often the app's home screen will display ok, but try to play a streaming video and it stalls out - nothing plays. I've resorted to unplugging the HD and/or rebooting the Shield, which solves the streaming problem, but obviously stops OTA recording on the external HD.

My questions:
If I replace the Shield with the new AppleTV 128gb w/ethernet (which doesn't have a USB port for an external HD) - should I be concerned about recording OTA? Does the Channels app then record OTA shows on the 128gb storage? -- I think it probably would but am not sure. The Shield is the only Android device in the house, everything else is Apple (we even have an ancient AppleTV that can't download the Channels App). Are there any drawbacks to the newer AppleTV - especially how it works with the Channels app?
Thanks in advance for your help. - Dave

2 Likes

Yes because atv can not act as a server like the shield will. The atv is a client only not a server

2 Likes

Yeah, just looked and because Amazon is in their holiday schedule, I have until Jan 2023 to return my 2021 model :smile:
I think I will order the new one (128) from Apple, and hang on to the 2021 model until the new now arrives thanks to the extended return policy. I am already hooked on ATV so I don't want to go without one now :slight_smile:

With the A15 is there any hint that lossless audio can be output to support true atoms etc.

1 Like

Return it and get a new oneā€¦.

The return policy is quite liberal, especially in these cases so close to itā€™s replacement launching

3 Likes

This is more of a design decision than a hardware one. Plus, in apple fashion, they would shout from the rooftops highlighting the innovation of fixing this, and didn't. In short, i wouldn't hold your breath.

1 Like

Right now I'm an Shield Pro endpoint guy with Android phones. Is there an clean way to 'cast' to the Apple TVs from an Android phone? Or is it only those meh quality pay to play 3rd party apps? I use that feature quite often and it's a seamless experience on Android to Shield.

One thing that does bug me on the Shield is the home screen is like 80% stuff I'm not interested in lol. Actually most of it is blank space because pi-hole blocks the majority of what shows up in the ad banner area.

Well, thanks to this new AppleTV, Apple has really pushed down the price of the last AppleTV 4k 64Gb to $109. Wonder what it will hit for Black Friday.

1 Like