Apple TV and ATSC 3.0

Is WESH is doing DRM?. Here are the stats from in progress stream from SD HD Home Run Flex 4k.

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77800

In addition to WESH
Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 20-26-20 RabbitEars.Info

There are quite a few stations in this list showing as encrypted (lock icon)

I appreciate the info on WESH. I watch that channel daily with either the Flex and Channels or direct OTA to my Sony A80CK with built-in ATSC 3 tuner. I have not experienced any encryption problem WESH whatsoever with either. OTOH, it seems that the PBS channel, WUCF, may have started using encryption. On the Flex the video is fine but the sound is scrambled. The Sony has no issue with the picture or sound.

1 Like

The mystery continues. Nickk at SD says ATV does not support AC4 passthrough so that is why I get 2 channels. As to why you get 6, can’t explain it. Does your ATV go straight into your sound system or does it loop thru your tv first? My Channels DVR runs in a Mac, I wonder if running it on a Pi or a windows machine would matter. It’s all related to FFmpeg from what I have read.

I have zero issues with 5.1 sound with my ATV on AC4. I have a Sony X900H that can decode AC4. My ATV is plugged directly into the TV and then I backfeed audio to my Marantz receiver via eARC,

This is only true for their app and not channels. Stop spreading disinformation :wink:

1 Like

That is why yours works. Your tv is doing the decoding. My sound system can’t and I don’t have eARC to hookup like you do.

Can you show us the output from ffmpeg -i against the stream?

1 Like

Detroit area broadcast consumer here. Five Detroit stations had announced adopting the ATSC 3.0 standard a couple of years ago…but not much news to be gleaned lately. I’d love to jump into the Flex 4K with Channels on my ATV 4K…but if there’s no real content to consume until potentially 2027 (after the FCC extended the ATSC 1.0 sunset date this past July), I’m thinking that I may keep my existing HD Homerun in place for now.

1 Like

There's NO hurry to adopt an ATSC 3.0 tuner right now. During the lighthouse phase, they are doing nothing more than re-broadcasting their .1 channels. There's NO 4k broadcast, or really anything special right now.

2 Likes

Also 2 of the 4 ATSC 3.0 channels in St Louis have activated DRM so not able to watch anyway.

2 Likes

Statement from Silicon Dust on the state of DRM.

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=397340#p397340

2 Likes

Well...now I'm hoping ATSC 3 dies or ATSC 1 keeps living for longer

1 Like