Apple TV Channels PiP Usage

No worries. Categories can be overlooked when you're searching.

Unfortunately there really isn't anything more than can be achieved. In your case, the Fire OS is responsible for drawing and placing the window; Channels has no idea where that window will be placed, so it cannot change its layout to adapt to where the PiP window is placed. (I believe most systems will allow you to move the window to different corners; this may be an option for you to shuffle the window out of the way so you can better see the content on the screen.)

Since this is the Apple TV section, it might interest you to know that the PiP window on that device will move out of the if the focused item will be covered by the window. For instance, if the window is in the lower right, and you are scrolling to the right on the last row of the guide, the window will move slightly up allowing the entire cell of the guide to be read.

If the PIP window position is a limitation of the FireOS and fixed in position as you state, why can't the text positioning be moved so there is no overlap? I can't believe the clock position is dictated by the OS and limiting the width of the program description text box so that the program description word wraps doesn't seem revolutionary.

1 Like

Because the app has no idea where the PiP window is. The app cannot respond to changes it does not know about.

I (not you) am confused.

Are you saying that Channels DVR does not specify the location of the clock and does not have the ability to reduce the width of the text box used for the program description?

I suppose Channels could do that, but you want that action to occur when the PiP window is in the upper right corner. However, Channels has no idea where the PiP window is, nor can it control that. If Channels doesn't know about the window, then there is no reason for it to change its layout.

As I understand you, you want Channels to react to the PiP window. What I am saying is that Channels has no control over that window, including its location, so how can Channels adapt its layout to something it doesn't know about?

I may have an overly simplistic viewpoint but hopefully you understand what I am describing.

I am not expecting any OSD EPG text to "react" or auto reposition based upon the PIP overlay being turned on.

What I am trying to convey is that that Channels DVR app does specify the location of the clock and has the ability to limit the width of the program text box regardless of whether the PIP window is on or off.

As such, if the PIP is turned on, this would also change the default location of the clock and change (narrow) the default program text box width. There is more than ample space above the EPG grid away from the PIP overlay.

1 Like

I fully understand what you are describing.

Channels doesn't know about the PiP window; that's handled by the OS.

We seem to be speaking cross-wise and not making any headway. I'm going to let someone else take up this thread.

1 Like

Thank you for listening. Perhaps if I put it another way it will make sense...

Allow the end user to choose 2 locations for the clock,

1. Default position - Clock right aligned
  2. Clock centered - no longer blocked by PIP overlay window.

Obviously this is simplistic description but changing the position of the clock display will move it away from the PIP overlay. The exact clock position would be determined by the developer and position 2 would be chosen if PIP was turned on. The same would be true for the program description text box width.

1 Like