AppleTV sound issue, "mono phase cancellation" when playing back from DVR

I too have had the center channel where dialogue typically is disappear. It’s incredibly rare, like once every 6 months.

@andydibben

Ironically, this morning I was using airpods with my Apple TV 4K. The show was recorded in 5.1 from the local broadcast network.

The airpods are obviously stereo, and this scenario completely removes my home theater from the equation, because this audio in stereo directly from the Apple TV.

This time I did observe some kind of massive center channel attenuation of the dialog. I did hear very low dialog in the left and right sound field panned really wide in each ear. Clearly not normal.

These were not a AirPods Pro’s, so we can rule spatial audio out of this equation.

In this case, I wanted to see if the audio issue was stuck to all programming, so I played a known two channel recording and it played fine. Then when I opened the first program, the audio center material was panned correctly and volume was as expected.

In case you haven’t already done this - maybe next time you see it, maybe try playing a different recording , then go back to original - instead of using the app switcher to shut down channels. This would help narrow down whether what you are seeing is the same thing I saw today.

We should keep this thread open and continue to report our findings to help narrow this down.

Btw - also an audio engineer

Best

1 Like

Are these atsc1 or atsc3 feeds?

This is the same thing I emailed support about the other day. For me it is atsc1.

I am able to fix it by just switching audio tracks or exiting the recording and going back in.

Here are the audio track(s) details from a particular recording that I experienced the issue with:

Track #1: ATSC A/52A (AC-3)
5.1(side) eng 384kbps

Track #2: ATSC A/52A (AC-3)
stereo spa 192kbps

I can reproduce this with cable channels, too. Not an ATSC quirk.

If i pause a recording, leave the ATV as-is until the TV/ATV idle timer puts the ATV into standby, "power back up", then re-enter the Channels client, where it's still waiting on my paused place - playing from there kills the center channel.

Hmmm....I'm going to try that today and see if I can replicate.

1 Like

ATSC 1. Plain vanilla

I’m having a similar problem, have been for a few weeks now. I don’t know the nature of the problem because I haven’t dug into it yet, but the sound is often silent when I launch the app. I have to close and reopen many times before the sound comes back. I’ve NEVER had a problem with Channels until now, but this sucks.

I’m using eARC into a Sonos Arc from a Samsung TV for my sound, but I’ve been using this setup for quite some time and this is a relatively new problem.

I don’t know troubleshooting needs to be done, but I’m willing to help provide info if needed.

I was able to replicate this twice this evening. I was able to restore the audio by Swiping down to reveal the options menu, deselecting the English audio language (which in my case mutes all audio since there is no other language option), then selected English again.

I was watching this morning using my AirPods connected directly to my ATV and experienced this today. So that rules out any kind of HDMI handshake issue to the TV/soundbar. Either the issue is with ATV or Channels app. But since it never happens with any other ATV app, seems like a Channels issue. Running TestFlight version, always on the latest build. And I've only experienced it since watching OTA with 5.1 sound.

I experienced exactly this same thing yesterday, playing last week’s episode of Saturday Night Live. I thought something was wrong with my recording. I restarted and still had the issue. I watched something else, waited a few hours. Later on I went back to try the same recording again, and this time the audio was fine. It was super weird.

I’ve seen this with AirPods as recently as today. I’ve always been able to get rid of it by using the app switcher and closing down the app. Completely loose “center” channel.

I’m on TVOS 15.1

I experience this often when the video goes into pip. It’s like the center channel disappears. Force quit fixes it.

Issue still occurring here and there, more consistent now on OTA broadcast recordings.

I have found that the fastest and most reliable way to stop the issue is to use the options menu and select another audio stream…then go back to your original audio stream. For me, that fixes it every time. Credit for that work around goes to A previous commentor on this thread.

With the latest TestFlight build we have a possible fix for this problem, so it would be helpful if you try that and confirm if its fixed or not.

See BETA: Audio improvements for Apple TV and iPhone/iPad

1 Like

Happy to test this but I am not able to join the Beta program and accept the terms. I’m getting this message when I attempt to accept:
“You can't vote because you can't post in this topic.“

Please advise…

The link is on getchannels.com/beta

@tmm1 I will also keep testing for this as well.

In the past , I could never find a way to reliably reproduce the loss of center audio channel, but I did notice that for me at least, it happens much more often when using AirPods.

I haven’t seen it since the latest support added for spatial audio, but it was happening so infrequently before that it is too early to tell if this issue has be fixed.

1 Like

This has just started happening to me as well. Seems to happen if I pause a show long enough that the screen saver comes on. If I exit out of the show and restart, the center channel is back.