AppleTV Stutters BAD with recordings, Computer Plays Fine

Finally sat down to watch some recordings on my AppleTV and they are unwatchable. It takes about 30 seconds for the recording to start, then plays about 2 seconds then stops for an additional 30 seconds.

Live TV on the AppleTV works perfect and watching the recordings on another computer also works perfect.

Any ideas?

Please copy/paste the OS/CPU section from the DVR web UI, and detail the network setup for your DVR.

You can also try playing back the files directly via VLC to see if they have the same issue.

Holy cow - I just removed the ethernet cable from the AppleTV and it is now playing flawlessly. Go figure that WiFi works better.

The ethernet port on the ATV4 is only 100mbps, while the wifi is 802.11ac.

However 100mbps should be plenty… perhaps you’re using a cat5 instead of cat5e/cat6?

What is interesting - live tv works instantly and flawlessly over ethernet. It was just the recordings that chocked.

Quite strange… suggests that ATV<->HDHR path is fine, but ATV<->DVR is not. Are the ATV and DVR plugged into the same switch?

It does seem odd, I am going to reboot everything tonight and see if that helps. Ultimately it doesn’t seem like a Channels DVR issue, but a networking issue.

What OS is the server running on?

I remember that there was an issue with flow control on the server nics with wired connections when playing back to atv when the Windows version was first released. This may be affecting other OSes/drivers…

Turning off flow control on the server was the solution for that case…

I am using the latest MacOS, I will check out what you linked to.

I’m having the same issue with my WD PR4100 NAS. It worked flawless until the last two builds. It affects all of my apple TV’s in the house. I have two switches (2 into one, 2 into the other). I moved my NAS to one switch to the other. Still have the issue. Again, this was never an issue until very recently.