Asustor NAS can not connect to TVE after update

I can't update chrome - I get this message
fork/exec ./chromedp-shell: no such file or directory

1 Like

Are you running v2023.11.10.2023

Please go to Support -> Troubleshooting -> Submit Diagnostic Logs from the web interface of the DVR and let us know when it's been submitted so we can have a better idea of what was going on.

Yes ... I was but I dumped it and deleted ChannelsDVR, reloaded and I'm restoring the backup now.

The NAS is running on 2023.09.15.0559 and is back to normal ...

It would have really been helpful to have the diagnostics from before you did that. In the future please submit them so we can make the product better for everyone else that might run into that problem.

Well, we still have the logs ... where do I find them?

Eric, if you'd like I can load v2023.11.10.2023 into a second server and run the diagnostics on that one ...

The logs are in the location where you deleted the DVR to reinstall.

There’s no need to run the build on a different server. The issue was related to the specific versions that you updated between and how that interacted. As you saw, a new install will not have the problem.

I'm still running 2023.09.15.0559, and haven't updated beyond that. I really didn't want to miss any recordings tonight and that's why I jumped on restoring everything. So, you're saying that the latest update will be OK if I go directly to it? Thanks ...

I honestly can't tell you for sure what you ran into and if you'll run into problems if you do it again. We have had a number of people update successfully and without incident (so that is what I would expect to happen), but because I don't know why it failed before, I won't know if it could happen again.

I tried to upgrade to the new version this morning but got the same results ... Question ... The error message I saw when I tried to upgrade Chrome stated that it was missing a "fork." Is the new version assuming that I'm running Docker? I'm not running Docker on this NAS. I've submitted the Diagnostics ...

Nothing to do with docker.
fork and exec are ways of starting a new process Fork–exec - Wikipedia
It was complaining that it couldn't find the program ./chromedp-shell to execute

Looking into it now.

Would someone with an Asustor NAS be able to ssh into their NAS and run the following commands?

ls -ld /bin/*sh /usr/bin/env /usr/bin/*sh
which bash

Update: It appears that Asustor is using busybox and does not have /bin/bash, only /bin/sh that is /bin/ash. I'm looking into how to support this.

Please try this pre-release update Chrome again in the Troubleshooting page and let us know if it resolves the issue.

SUCCESS! Eric ... Thanks for all your hard work tracking down the problem.

I appreciate your assistance in tracking this down.

I'd be glad to help out with tracking down ASUSTOR or QNAP NAS problems anytime you'd like me to load in a pre-release to test ...

1 Like