ATSC 3.0 Choppy on Chromecast with Google TV

Just added a HDHomeRun 4k Flex to my setup and the ATSC 3.0 channels in my area are choppy on my Chromecast with Google TV. I would just blame the device as when I bring it up on my Nvidia Shield it plays nice and smooth but when using the HDHomeRun App on my Chromecast, the channels play completely smooth so it's specifically an issue in the Channels DVR app on the device.

Any ideas on how to make this perform correctly on my Chromecast in the Channels DVR App?

Thanks

Settings> Playback>Advanced>Video Decoder >Hardware

Thanks but it was already on hardware. Tried hybrid which was way worse.

Try disabling surround sound.

This...

plus this...

... is the way.

No difference with disabling surround sound and hardware encoding. Just lots of dropped frames but zero issues with HD Homerun app

Try enabling this experimental setting (in addition to maintaining the other ones on the client):

Under settings, transcoder, Deinterlacer, try hardware or linear.

Enabling hevc shouldn’t do anything to help but might break remote viewing so be careful

1 Like

When I tested a Chromecast Google TV, I couldn't get it to work well, many dropped frames with ATSC3.0 using Channels DVR. I believe Channels DVR ATSC 3.0 support is so new that it hasn't been optimized for lower end devices. Silicon Dust has the most experience with ATSC3.0 using their product so they have been able to make it work in most cases, although DRM support is still not ready. Fortunately if you can receive ATSC1.0 adequately then you have several years before it is a major concern.

This is true, but the recordings on the HEVC channels are about 40% less disk space. Luckily in my area only 1 of the 4 broadcasted ATSC 3 channels is using DRM (for now).

Just watching the unaltered broadcast, wouldn't think I would need to transcode.

True, but if you force it to transcode, you can eliminate dropped frames. Although you may not like the result.