ATSC 3.0 no surround audio

files have been sent

Any insight gained from the files?

Can you summarize for me what the difference in sound is in the Channels app vs the HDHR LG app?

Just that the surrounds are barely doing anything? Is it nothing at all, or as if the amplification is turned down?

Surrounds are barely there if at all. Switching between same show on ATSC1 and 3 is night and day. Surrounds drop out and front channels go to basically stereo, very little center channel.

ATSC1 vs ATSC3 is coming from different towers and different feeds. I am interested in the comparison between the Apple TV decoder and the decoder on your TV with the native HDHR app.

HDHR app on my LG tv provides correct surround on ATSC3. HDHR app on ATV was updated today and is creating fake surround. All channels are exactly the same using the new version of their app. Our local ABC affiliate can not pass anything but 2.0 due to an equipment failure, but HDTV app on ATV is creating fake surround.

Is that using their new "cloud transcoder"?
https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76188

On the ATV yes, on the LG no, that is an older app. LG updates very infrequently and I don’t allow the TV to connect to the internet.

1 Like

How does that work, as the SD app requires an active internet connection to download the UI and start up?

I allowed it just for this test. Otherwise tv is kept off internet because it’s too chatty

1 Like

So to be clear ATV is not providing correct ATSC 3 audio on SD or Channels app. Older version of SD app on LG feeding to my sound system over optical is providing correct audio at proper levels with 5.1 audio.

I think it's the ac4 format for atsc 3 causing a decoding issue. I read somewhere that optical is not compatible with passthrough so your TV was doing the decoding most likely. I bought a new marantz and it supports ac4 passthrough. My atv is set to send uncompressed and unmanipulated audio out the eArc connection. My marantz sees that as multichannel ac4 and decodes it properly. My surround sound works great except for 1 channel where the broadcaster has an issue

TV plays no part in audio from ATV. ATV feeds sound system direct via HDMI. Internal app on TV feeds sound system on optical because TV and sound system does not support eARC.