ATV hangs on specific recording

Also in the beta if you’re able to leave the hung player and get back to the Settings tab (without having to kill the app), click there Submit Diagnostics button at the bottom.

Unfortunately the app UI is completely unresponsive. I normally can press the home button and get back to the main Apple screen (with about a ~5 second delay). If I immediately go back into the app, it is still playing but there is no video. Only audio with a gray screen. Waiting and then going back into the app after at least 5 minutes, the app appears to have crashed and started fresh.

I have some new data. I misunderstood my wife, the recording had not finished. Now that it is complete, it plays normally. I can now duplicate the same issue on all currently recording shows. If I go to Recordings, then to Recently Recorded, then select a show that is still being recorded, then try and skip while watching it, the UI becomes unresponsive.

This got me thinking and I think it might be related to the comskip data. The original recording does not appear to have any comskip info.

Okay, so it’s only happening on in-progress recordings, and only if you try to skip forward while watching? If you just let the player play like normal, it’s fine?

Is your ATV plugged into ethernet or over wifi?

Is this still happening on the old recording? Or is the issue only occurring when the recording is still in progress.

It is still happening on the original recording I sent you. The original recording seems to hang the UI from the start of play back regardless of what buttons are pressed. The video will continue to play.

I can also now duplicate the issue on all recording that are still in progress, but only after the skip button is pressed.

The ATV is using ethernet.

Okay two things:

Send me the http://127.0.0.1:8089/dvr/files/xxx output, replacing xxx with the file number for that orig recording. You can visit http://127.0.0.1:8089/log?n=5000 to find that recording and look for the file-xxx code

On your windows machine, go to the network settings and turn off Flow Control for your network adapter: Windows DVR BUG: Glitches during recording

{“ID”:“188”,“JobID”:“1499731020-11”,“RuleID”:“11”,“GroupID”:“187576”,“Path”:“TV\The Bachelorette\The Bachelorette S13E07 2017-07-10 2017-07-10-1957.mpg”,“Checksum”:"",“CreatedAt”:1499731020,“Watched”:false,“Deleted”:false,“PlaybackTime”:325,“Duration”:7619.601755,“Commercials”:null,“Processed”:true,“Airing”:{“Source”:“tms”,“Channel”:“57.1”,“OriginalDate”:“2017-07-10”,“Time”:1499731200,“Duration”:7260,“Title”:“The Bachelorette”,“Summary”:“Rachel and the six remaining bachelors travel to Geneva; hometown dates.”,“Image”:“http://fanc.tmsimg.com/assets/p13828847_b_h6_aa.jpg",“Categories”:[“Episode”,“Series”],“Genres”:[“Reality”,“Romance”],“Tags”:[“CC”,"DD 5.1”,“HD 720p”,“HDTV”,“New”,“Stereo”],“SeriesID”:“187576”,“ProgramID”:“EP005440010259”,“TeamIDs”:null,“SeasonNumber”:13,“EpisodeNumber”:7,“Raw”:{“startTime”:“2017-07-11T00:00Z”,“endTime”:“2017-07-11T02:01Z”,“duration”:121,“channels”:[“57.1”],“stationId”:“47821”,“qualifiers”:[“CC”,“DD 5.1”,“HD 720p”,“HDTV”,“New”,“Stereo”],“ratings”:[{“body”:“USA Parental Rating”,“code”:“TVPG”}],“program”:{“tmsId”:“EP005440010259”,“rootId”:“14267223”,“seriesId”:“187576”,“subType”:“Series”,“title”:“The Bachelorette”,“titleLang”:“en”,“episodeNum”:7,“seasonNum”:13,“releaseYear”:2017,“releaseDate”:“2017-07-10”,“origAirDate”:“2017-07-10”,“entityType”:“Episode”,“descriptionLang”:“en”,“shortDescription”:“Rachel and the six remaining bachelors travel to Geneva; hometown dates.”,“longDescription”:“Rachel and the six remaining bachelors travel to Geneva; Rachel chooses four men to go on hometown dates with her.”,“topCast”:[“Chris Harrison”,“Rachel Lindsay”],“genres”:[“Reality”,“Romance”],“preferredImage”:{“uri”:“http://fanc.tmsimg.com/assets/p13828847_b_h6_aa.jpg",“height”:“540”,“width”:“720”,“primary”:“true”,“category”:“Banner-L1”,“text”:“yes”,“tier”:“Season”}}}},"UpdatedAt”:1500431236777}

I changed the settings to disabled. It was set for TX and RX.

1 Like

Okay I think that should fix your problem. Try skipping forward on an in-progress recording now.

Unfortunately, for in-progress shows, pressing the skip button still causes the UI to become unresponsive.

So weird…

What hdhomerun model are you using?

If you can, try putting the ATV on wifi and see if it has the same behavior.

I am using a HDHomeRun Connect. I tried wifi only with no apparent change. Looking back at the thread, I want to clarify that it is trying to initiate a commercial skip that causes the UI to become unresponsive. I realize there is no commercial data for in-progress TV shows, but since most shows we watch are already recorded, the habit is to push that first.

What remote are you using? What exactly are you pressing?

Two different Logitech Harmony remotes. The particular buttons are SkipForward or SkipBack mapped from the ATV4 profile.

Got it, that must be the missing piece. I was trying a double click on Siri remote to skip which works fine. I will look at the IR remote code.

This should be fixed in the beta that just rolled out. @manchild, could you try it out and confirm?

Fixed! Both for in-progress shows and the original problem recording. You guys are amazingly responsive. Thank you!

Maybe I’m completely missing it, but is there a way to record something you are currently watching live?

Yeah, on the pull-down is a record button in the lower right corner

Sweet!!

This has happened on my DVR as well, but not on specific recordings, but rather in a specific circumstance. When watching a program while it’s still recording, I get the same response if I try to fast forward though commercials. As mentioned in the original post, only the home button on Apple TV responds. When I reselect the Channels application on Apple TV afterwards, the program that was playing is in some sort of limbo. I select the home button again, then the Channels app again, and it resolves as long as I don’t try to fast forward subsequently. Could it be that while the program is recording, commercials are not yet determined, but the fast forward instructions are looking for them?