Audio-only mode for DVR users

To get the “right” play button (as I did in my bookmarklet) just get the first one inside an A tag:

const playButton = document.querySelector("a > span.glyphicon-play")

1 Like

What do you mean by the 'right' play button?

The one that’s for the selected episode rather than any of the others in the background (see above, e.g. on the Recordings > All > show page).

As I think about extending the functionality of the Shortcut, can you clarify what you mean by 'selected' episode? When I go to a shows page I see the list of sorted recorded episodes. Which are you considering the selected one?

1 Like

The one for which you tapped the ‘watch now’ button at the top level. (Fofer had some screenshots demonstrating this in their post but I don’t see them any more.)

I removed them because the originals had my DVR address displayed and I figured better safe than sorry. Here are the screenshots again, hopefully they help :slight_smile:

Ah, got it! OK yeah easy tweak as has been mentioned. I'll update my bookmarklet and Shortcut code this evening.

Alrighty, I've update the bookmarklet code and Shortcut breakdown on GitHub. I used a slightly different approach than @nriley, scoping it to the glyphicon-play button within the modal

document.querySelector(".modal-content .glyphicon-play")

If you get a chance to try it, let me know if it works.

1 Like

Yep, both of them are working a treat, on my iPhone and iPad. And of course the bookmarklet works great on my Mac, too.

Thanks so very much, these are great!

1 Like

So, now that you have enabled PiP using the native video player, is it an opportune time to revisit this request? The workaround with the web UI does function, but it's clunky.

It would be great to be able to pull up the Channels app, go to PiP, and switch to an audio only mode for those times when bandwidth is limited, but you really want to catch a newscast or any other programming where video isn't essential to comprehension or enjoyment.

2 Likes

I have tried adding the "?vcodec=none&acodec=mp3" to the end of the URL in Safari and I am not able to get the audio-only option to work. The video plays fine in the browser, but when the additional code is added to get audio-only all I get is a player window with a spinning circle.

1 Like

Make sure you’re adding it to the video url, not the page url.

1 Like

For the android users out there, change the above url to codec=aac in order to get playback to work in Chrome!

ie: https://xxx.channelsdvr.net:8089/devices/ANY/channels/6003/hls?vcodec=none&acodec=aac

New build going out now makes this easier with /devices/ANY/channels/6003/hls/audio.m3u8

That link will now work on both iOS and Android devices, letting them pick between aac and mp3 depending on what is preferred on the platform.

There is also now a link on the web UI in the watch now dropdown, called Audio Only. You can click that, or right-click copy it.

6 Likes

That’s great!

1 Like

When I click the "audio only" option in the web player it gives me the option to download a m3u8. That m3u8 doesn't play in vlc when I click on it, although it does bring up vlc?
When I drag and drop from the "audio only" option, to vlc, it does play the audio portion. Is this the expected behavior.

I also have 2 new options in the drop down along with "audio only", "VLC" and "Roku Device". Both options do nothing useful when I click them. VLC opens a new tab that doesn't do anything. Roku Device doesn't seem to do anything.

I get the same thing when I try it on my PC but it works on my iPhone. Very nice, even the playback speed works. Only problem is that when the phone goes to sleep, the audio stops.

With the next build you can load the saved master.m3u8 file into VLC.

To make the VLC links work, you have to install some helper programs. See Allow alternate player app from DVR web UI - #25 by tmm1

3 Likes

Thanks for this info, I was able to add internet radio streams.

2 Likes

One question, I have my internet radio and 4 day weather working great on Channels DVR but curious to know about curl -s -XPUT http://192.168.1.73:8089/dvr/lineups/XMLTV-FM. I have this in a script but it does not seem to do anything to refresh the Channels DVR FMRadio.xml on the server. I can manually refresh from the webpage and only then I am able to see artist and title of the song. Can someone answer if curl -s -XPUT supposed to refresh the xml file on the Channels DVR server?

1 Like