AVC not working in Channels with tvOS 11 Beta or iOS 11 Beta

Hopefully this is going into the right board. I’m having some trouble getting AVC channels to play on my Apple TV and my iOS devices in the Channels app. I guess Comcast recently switched the majority of the channels I watch over to AVC, and since then those channels have failed to load in the app. I’ve tested them using VLC on my MacBook and they’re working just fine there. I’ve rescanned my channel lineup to see if it needed to set some sort of flag on the channels for the Channels app to pick up on, but it hasn’t seemed to work. None of the channels appear to be copy protected, so I don’t think that’s the issue. Does anyone have advice for this?

Does the app show an error?

FWIW, almost all my Comcast channels are AVC and I’ve been watching them in both apps for over a year now.

I sent you the tvOS beta. Try playing a channel, then click Submit Diagnostics at the bottom of the Settings tab.

I have Comcast and don’t have this issue either. Most of my channels are AVC except the local affiliate channels.

Alright, I loaded it up and sent in a diagnostic report. Thanks for the quick reply :slight_smile:

1 Like

The app does not show an error. It just sits where it looks like it’s loading the channel. I can leave it there for quite some time and not have anything change.

Okay it looks like there’s something about your feed that’s not playing well with the VideoToolbox hardware decoder.

Can you capture a sample from the tuner and send to [email protected]?

Say your tuner is 10.0.0.5 and an example channel is 745, visit this URL in Chrome to download a 30s sample:
http://10.0.0.5:5004/auto/v745?duration=30

Alrighty! I just sent the file to that address. :slight_smile:

Received, thanks! Give me a couple days to figure out what’s going on.

Sounds good! Thanks again!

Looks like this might be a bug in tvOS 11 beta. Are you running the iOS beta as well?

Yes, I’m currently on Beta 2 of tvOS 11. Thought I’d mentioned that in the original topic but I guess I missed that. My sincerest apologies if I’ve led you on some wild goose chase.

I had this problem as well but it seems to be fixed in the latest TestFlight build.

Sounds like Apple made some change to VideoToolbox which is breaking hardware h264 decoding in our app. In the latest TestFlight build, I disabled the hardware decoder because I wasn’t able to reproduce and had no other choice.

Now that I know the issue is caused by tvOS/iOS 11, I’ll try upgrading to it and see if I can figure out what they changed.

I’m having the same issue as this but I’m not on the channels beta dvr app. Just 2.1.34. Is there a way to get the test flight build so that this will work? My other two ATV4’s that were not upgraded are working.

Came here looking for a solution. Wanted to try out PB tvOS 11. Sounds like I may need the latest TestFlight Build. Anyway I could jump on that?

It is possible to restore your devices:
https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/restore#tvos

I upgraded to tvOS 11 Beta 3 on my test ATV today, and my H264 channels appear to be working.

Can someone else confirm that the App Store build is working as expected after upgrading to the latest beta?

I’m running 11.0 (15J5324f)

The tvOS 11 Beta 3 (15J5324f) was released as the Public Beta 2 today, so everyone should be able to upgrade to it.

Please try out the App Store build and let me know whether H264 channels are playing or not.