BETA: Automatic Channels for Channel Collections - Use rules to pull in channels dynamically

Make sure you all the way up to date. But I think I'm seeing dupes still too on my production setup. I'll check it out again.

Amazing work! Question! Will the dropdown button to sort these auto channels from number order to alphabetical work? right now it seems to be a dead button. Id like to be able to have some channels be numerical and others alphabetical.

No, this is not a sorting behavior, this exists as a quick action to sort your manual channels. (It was added last week before we even had these rules) It has no effect on the channel collection in real time.

As the original post says, all dynamic automatic channels, will be added at the end of the list of manual channels.

Gotcha. Thanks for this and for all your hard work! Can't tell you how much these little changes affect quality of life and discoverability :slight_smile:

2 Likes

With the latest TestFlight beta of the iOS/tvOS app, the channels are finally truly de-duped.

1 Like

This started dupes for me, with multiple HDHR.

For example, if I have channel 4.1 accessible from 3 different HDHR, the auto channels collection will pick it up 3 times.

Yeah I just noticed that too. It's de-duping compared to the original manual channels set in the Channels Collection, but not stacking like it normally does with the resulting automatic channels.

BE RIGHT BACK!

1 Like

Ooooooook. With the latest TestFlight beta, all de-duping and channel stacking should be happening as you would expect.

2 Likes

I have a new report…seems maybe a tag or something broke with an update. I have an auto channel with genre=children. With some of the earlier builds, only a few channels were missing like (1) Cartoon Network and both FreeForm channels. In this latest build , now both Cartoon Network and FreeForm channels are missing…Only two Disney and PBS kids are shown.

It depends on the tags for the shows currently playing on those channels.
ie: it is not filtering by channel. It works by whatever the currently airing show is and how it is tagged. The idea is to pick up content dynamically, on whatever channel it happens to be on.

Yea, if there are channels that you think play kids stuff all the time, add them manually.

The automatic rules are based on the content that's playing on your channels at any given time.

Got it…makes total sense now…Thanks!!!

This is such a cool feature. Thanks for adding it. Found a weird GUI bug. When adding multiple sources in the exclude sources field, the excluded sources field expands horizontally while the genre box gets squished and obscures the genre pulldown selector.

This new feature for Channel Collections is very cool!

Would it be possible to have an option at to which is listed first?

As an example, I was playing with a News collection and started with just automatic channels, but as mentioned previously, Pluto's genres are a mess. So I excluded Pluto as a source. That gets rid of the non-news Pluto channels, but it also gets rid of actual news Pluto channels. I added actual news Pluto channels manually, but I don't necessarily want them at the top of the guide.

Another nice option would be for the "Sort by" selection to apply to the combined channel list, both manually added and automatically added.

This is a cool feature.
One thing i noticed.
Would it be possible to add an exclude channel list filter in the automated collection?

For example i did an automatic collection called cooking. It worked really well, except it included QVC

2 Likes

I get Charge! OTA and on Philo and noticed a duplicate with those
Charge! OTA HD Homerun 57.4
Charge Philo 6752

I will probably just get rid of one to solve it, but wanted to add mine in the list

They have different channel numbers and channel names. They won’t stack, just like they don’t stack in your normal guide.

Thanks, this is a great feature. I tried it on iOS Beta, no issues so far.

How difficult would it be to define a spot in the collection where these channels get inserted? For example, in some collections it would be great to have them in the beginning, in others at the end (or randomly in the middle).

4 Likes

Genres was missing most of the Movie genres. This has been resolved.

@maddox I think this feature is awesome and already used it last weekend for football. The issue now is when I go to my collection (I set up up exactly like yours for sports) it does not show football night in America.

This is all I had in the grid below... Ok I think I figured it out it technically started 10 minutes later. Is it possible to have a small window where it will show upcoming shows that match the query like say 30-60min?