BETA: Chrome Capture for Channels

I'm seeing the severe cropping on the Golf Channel, but not on Oxygen, Syfy, or USA. Those three are still not fullscreen, but they do not have the severe cropping that the Golf Channel has. Version 0.1.8

1 Like

I’m also seeing the cropping on the golf channel as well as NBC.

@tmm1

V0.1.8 is working here for me on Windows 11

1 Like

In Terminal use “cd” to switch to the folder where it’s at.

“cd [path-to-chrome-capture-for-channels-directory]”

Then enter the “npm run build” command.

3 Likes

Can the Chrome capture and the Channels server be on two separate Windows PCs?

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

@tmm1

TVE is now failing to load

023/06/21 21:07:03.579939 [TVE] action=auth mvpd=Comcast_SSO requestor=CBS
2023/06/21 21:07:03.616581 [ERR] Failed to start stream for ch6003: TVE: exec: "google-chrome": executable file not found in $PATH
2023/06/21 21:07:03.664570 [HLS] Couldn't generate stream playlist for ch6003-dANY-ip192.168.50.149: TVE: exec: "google-chrome": executable file not found in $PATH
2023/06/21 21:07:03.664631 [HLS] Stopping transcoder session ch6003-dANY-ip192.168.50.149
1 Like

edit...
MSNBC is working great now. I think my issue is with Weatherscan. Slow PC didn't work for capture.

Same.

I find that the source stream by Chrome isn't stopped when I am using "audio only" or "full player" mode on the web browser interface. I suppose this is intentional, but I would it seems good to have the program shut down the Chrome stream whenever Channels DVR stops serving or recording the stream if that can be detected.

Am I the only one who doesn't see these new channels as an option in Channel Collections?

If only we can get this to display all channels in full screen, I’m pretty happy with the results, especially with this being in very early beta.

The only other thing I’d really like to see is for this to be built into Channels server maybe as an experimental feature while it’s being refined. I’m just not crazy about having to run it in terminal on my Mac…

Updated to 0.1.8 on windows 11 and getting a similar error now:

C:\Users\joagomez\chrome-capture-for-channels>node main.js
[2023/06/22 07:47:19.207] Chrome Capture server listening on port 5589
[2023/06/22 07:47:23.274] failed to start stream https://www.nbc.com/live?brand=syfy&callsign=syfy_east ReferenceError: page is not defined
    at C:\Users\joagomez\chrome-capture-for-channels\main.js:259:38
    at process.processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:95:5)
[2023/06/22 07:47:23.279] GET /stream/syfy from ::ffff:192.168.155.191 responded 500 in 411.060 ms
C:\Users\joagomez\chrome-capture-for-channels\main.js:286
      await page.close()
      ^

ReferenceError: page is not defined
    at C:\Users\joagomez\chrome-capture-for-channels\main.js:286:7
    at process.processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:95:5)

Node.js v20.3.0

EDIT: The executable chrome-capture-for-channels-win-x64.exe works but was running from the source code previously so assume issue has to do with my environment.

1 Like

Can this be somehow implimented using HDMI Encoder. My computer has a 2nd HDMI and would like to stream that output from the computer but impliment the URL's to the Browser.

1 Like

Not quite on topic but as an experiment: copying link from "main.js"
I pasted this into Firefox and it started playing (after clicking PLAY button) with my already saved kox creds.
h ttps://www.nbc.com/live?brand=golf&callsign=golf
I pasted this into Chrome, Opera and all I get is a spinning circle.!!! Again kox creds already there.
it never shows the golf screen with the PLAY button.
Pasted into Edge, plays audio only with a frozen Golf screen, other nbc channels play, others only audio.
UPDATE:
I tried the same link with Chrome Incognito and that works and plays Golf and all the others if I use nbc.com/live
Of course it asks if kox is my provider, I can see it go to adobe to auth.
Try again in non-incognito, spinning "Loading" circle.
Also Opera still does not work even in Private window, spinning "loading" circle..
UPDATE 2
Upon further review my Chrome was using DuckDuckGo as the browser.
When I changed it back to Default, (Google)
then entering url: nbc.com/live etc etc all work fine now in manual direct mode.
BTW I am not yet on with the latest pre-release nor have executed the github..... .exe to make this work.
Still waiting for the bugs, improvements, fixes to settle down and may wait till this is in the latest Stable release.
CDVR is working just fine, so I avoid the pre-releases unless something crucial is needed.
But I sure am looking fwd to using this.
All you developers and users on this "community" are pretty good I must say.

Thank you! I'm away from home now, but will play with this tonight or tomorrow. I might try different bitrates to see what works, although yesterday I was getting buffering even with the 5000 bitrate, using an M1 Mac with 16 GB of RAM, so I worry what a higher bitrate will do (although maybe transcoding is transcoding, and it isn't any more taxing on the machine doing the transcoding?)

This seems like game changer.I can't wait to get home and start playing with it. I will be building a new server soon as well- just got my hands on a M/B for super cheap. About to order a 10th gen cpu to go with it :slight_smile: Super excited

1 Like

UPDATE:
I tried the same link with Chrome Incognito and that works and plays Golf and all the others if I use nbc.com/live
Of course it asks if kox is my provider, I can see it go to adobe to auth.
Try again in non-incognito, spinning "Loading" circle.
Also Opera still does not work even in Private window, spinning "loading" circle..

2 Likes

As far the video often not filling the screen and black borders around the video, I noticed that this happens more when the desktop resolution is less than 1920x1080 and true for both a physical and vm windows machine.

When I increased my vm to 2560x1440 the black borders reduced.
I ran an issue with my resolution on my physical machine which was capped at 1920x1080 until I added a 4k hdmi dummy plug and could increase my resolution to 3840x2160 and then I had nearly zero border (see below)

2 Likes

How does it look on a client?