BETA: Chrome Capture for Channels

I looked quickly at the DirecTV player a few days ago.

At first glance, the player has a generic URL with nothing specific to the stream that is playing.

I opened the web inspector panel to try and look a little bit deeper but I didn't have enough time to really analyze the network activity.

I will give it another look some time during the week.

2 Likes

I have a request for some reason I cant install extensions to this chrome browser it fails everytime. Its a pain to have to load unpacked extensions such as adblockers which can be useful for a couple of sites like watchmarquee.com which loads with a preroll ad everytime. Can you enable extensions somehow?

Edit: i just tried installing ublock orgin manually and even that doesnt work.

1 Like

Puppeteer Freezes while playing stream from Chrome. The screen on the PC remains perfect. But the stream from Channels results in a pause on Apple TV. It then speeds up the video.to catch up. Watching the CG crawl on the PC and Apple TV, it is perfect. I notice chrome is using a lot of system resources on the PC. No errors on the terminal. I am sure this won't be reviewed until Monday...but wanted it out there in case it helps. I will move to a Win 11 box on Monday to see if that helps.

1 Like

Trying to tune into NBATV with this but the play button isn't pressed. Not too sure if there's a way to get this tool to press play or unmute the player (the latter gave me some trouble with VIX and YES). Trying to get FanduelTV to work to (Live Horse Racing Stream | Watch Online for Free | HRTV | TVG) but it doesn't press play too

I had a power outage early this morning that seems to have broken everything. I get an endless loop of new tabs opening for all channels that run through this both on the Docker container and the Node.js running natively (Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS).

Docker:

[2023/06/26 00:39:14.154] Chrome Capture server listening on port 5589
/home/chrome/node_modules/@puppeteer/browsers/lib/cjs/launch.js:259
reject(new Error([
.......^
Error: Failed to launch the browser process! undefined
[16:38:0626/003914.542133:ERROR:bus.cc(399)] Failed to connect to the bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
[16:16:0626/003914.547864:ERROR:ozone_platform_x11.cc(239)] Missing X server or $DISPLAY
[16:16:0626/003914.547873:ERROR:env.cc(255)] The platform failed to initialize. Exiting.
TROUBLESHOOTING: Troubleshooting | Puppeteer
at ChildProcess.onClose (/home/chrome/node_modules/@puppeteer/browsers/lib/cjs/launch.js:259:24)
at ChildProcess.emit (node:events:525:35)
at ChildProcess._handle.onexit (node:internal/child_process:291:12)

Node.js

[2023/06/26 00:37:07.573] streaming https://www.nbc.com/live?brand=oxygen&callsign=oxygen_west
[2023/06/26 00:37:14.545] failed to stream https://www.nbc.com/live?brand=oxygen&callsign=oxygen_west TimeoutError: Waiting for selector video failed: Waiting failed: 30000ms exceeded
at Timeout. (/home/khaos/chrome-capture-for-channels/node_modules/puppeteer-core/lib/cjs/puppeteer/common/WaitTask.js:71:37)
at listOnTimeout (node:internal/timers:573:17)
at process.processTimers (node:internal/timers:514:7)
[2023/06/26 00:37:22.609] GET /stream/oxygenp from ::ffff:192.168.0.10 responded 200 in 26723.058 ms
[2023/06/26 00:37:23.552] finished https://www.nbc.com/live?brand=oxygen&callsign=oxygen_west
[2023/06/26 00:37:40.610] GET /stream/oxygenp from ::ffff:192.168.0.10 responded 200 in 32432.708 ms
[2023/06/26 00:37:41.595] finished https://www.nbc.com/live?brand=oxygen&callsign=oxygen_west

1 Like

I noticed the same. If I open my own Chrome window I can install whatever I want, but the one the capture uses I can't install any. I only have 1 installation of Chrome on the computer so I'm not sure how it locked it down.

In the code there is this line

`              opts.args = opts.args.concat([
              `--load-extension=${path.join(dataDir, 'extension')}`,
              `--disable-extensions-except=${path.join(dataDir, 'extension')}`,`

Not a real developer, I just know enough to be dangerous... but I believe this is to keep this the root cause. Probably stripped down so you don't have to deal with extensions blocking the processes. I too tried to install an extension and found that I couldn't.

1 Like

@tmm1 I have this working for several channels and it is AWESOME!! This is absolutely mind blowing! Thank you! One question regarding streams from google sites... Is there anyway to change so that YTTV or YouTube streams can auto default to HD? I see mine from YTTV always default to 360p. I tried installing an extension to automatically make the stream HD but that is blocked. Any potential of getting an extension for that purpose as part of the base code?

Having the same issue with YES Network the page full sizes nicely and starts playing BUT no sound????

1 Like
/stream/<name> for stream names registered in the code

@tmm1 can you tell us with stream names are registered in the code?

This piece of software is fantastic. experiencing only 1 issue, MSNBC is the only one that freezes after a bit. audio still plays but the video freeze frames. client diagnostics submitted just in case.

besides that, everything works perfectly fast.

thanks.

Just set this up to test and it is working quite well. Installed on an M1 Mac mini (headless). I have Spectrum, so using that exclusively and the channel changes are pretty quick. Video is good but not great. I suspect my dummy HDMI adapter that only runs at 1920x1080 @ 50hz is creating issues re-scanning to 60hz. A new one is on the way that is 4K @ 60hz.

One thing I noted when comparing between the ChromeCapture and Spectrum app version is that the audio is much better on the Spectrum app. It is brighter and fuller in comparison. Looking at the code, it appears that the audio is set to stream at 192kbps. Not bad but perhaps low for good stereo audio. Perhaps a bump to 256-320kbps might help. Need to set up a developer version (although I am not much of a developer) to experiment.

Anyway, what a great project. Thanks to all

1 Like

I have included a screenshot of my setup on my IMac. I get all the channels, unfortunately, they do not load any help would be appreciated.

You can see the full list in the file main.js at GitHub - fancybits/chrome-capture-for-channels: Capture video and audio from a Chrome tab

Here is the current list:

Check the file for future updates.

Thanks. Thought of that after I posed. Thanks for posting it.

1 Like

I am a little confused about how to register codes in Docker. Any help would be appreciated.

2 Likes

Is anyone using this succesfuly with the web interface for one of the streaming providers?

Such has fubo, Hulu, DirecTV Stream etc.
DirecTV Stream doesn't seem to have any way to link to specific channels.

I recently left Hulu because they want to constantly authenticate for access. DirecTV and Fubo do not have that issue. They stay authenticated seemingly forever as long as you're paying the bill.

Thanks!

I had a freezing issue with morning joe this morning, but the video did start back up in 5-10 minutes and was back in sync for the remaining 3 1/2 hours. That was the NBC site. I may try Spectrum msnbc next, or msnbc directly.

I've also put them all above:

I just noticed the NBC Sports rsns don't work anymore at least for me. The Live streams are reduced back to live events like it was when nbc sports revamped. The feed still works on mobile so I have no idea what is going on in general.

Spectrum Update:
Installed headless Windows 11 box today with 32GB Ram and 500GB SSD. Streams flawlessly using HDMI Dummy Plug for monitor. No more issues with borders! Spectrrum streams flawlessly. NBC has some issues. Golf on Spectrum is perfect. Golf on NBC has a stuttering graphic and occasional glitches. Going to review again when I have time on Tuesday. If this is as good as it gets, it is as good as cable! FYI, I finally have local Spectrum news without going to the app. Same is true with Weather Channel.

5 Likes