BETA: Chrome Capture for Channels

Tried to spin up the docker container on a new PC and now can't get past the "Couldn't sign you in. The browser or app may not be secure". The docker image still has the 114 chrome level.

It's been throwing this persistent error for several days now with the google/yttv authentication either directly or through nbc.com.

1 Like

This is the path that works for me on Philo, just replace the code after channel, which you can find on the URLs.

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="FETV",FETV
chrome://localhost:5589/stream?url=https://www.philo.com/player/player/channel/Q2hhbm5lbDo2MDg1NDg4OTk2NDg0Mzk3MTc

Note: If you have Philo set to "start at show beginning" instead of "live", it won't drop you to live. That may or not be a problem on a scheduled show. I pull the EPG from a cable provider. I am using the executable version.

1 Like

Does anyone know of a path which might force this free service to start in full screen? It works, but you end up with side banners and you don't see the entire screen. Example:

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="Outside",Outside
chrome://localhost:5589/stream?url=https://watch.freecast.com/channels/free/lifestyle/sc-384760/

Has been discussed many times in this thread, you have to set your PC to a resolution above 1080p. Whether that's via an HDMI dongle, or connected to a 4K TV or monitor.

And then never use remote desktop from a 1080p source, that will send you back to black bar crap. Have to use VNC to keep the higher res.

If you're talking about freecast itself, is it possible that the source is SD and that's why you're seeing the bars?

1 Like

@Scott_Poxon, I have seen this one time, using Fubo as the source. I unplugged my HDMI dongle, and plugged in a monitor. The error went away, and then went back to just the dongle. No problems since, but I'm assuming it will come back at some point?

1 Like

Thanks @bnhf While I hear ya and appreciate the advice, I honestly just want a new Mac :rofl: :rofl:

Setting up an HDMI capture is honestly my lowest priority at this point. I can get all the channels that are DRM'd by logging into their respective app. NO, it is not ideal and I'd rather have in all in CDVR, but right now money is tight.

So, if I was gonna allocate funds for new tech toys, a new Mac would be highest priority. My 16" MBP 2019 is getting long in the tooth. My 2011 Mac mini is close to useless now (gonna go Ubuntu on it soon) and the 2014 iMac I had in storage that I was going to use as my main CDVR server took a crap and I parted it out.

I have an insanely fast 10th Gen Intel Ubunutu server that is rock solid. If I am gonna tinker with anything new, it's gonna ruin on that machine. I MAY switch it to win11 but Lord I hate using windows if I have any other choice LOL

@Jean0987654321 I will try to figure that out. I have never done any DOCKER anything so that's a learning curve that right now I just don't have the time to commit to. But thanks for the inspiration. Hopefully soon I will have the time to learn it.

Docker on Linux works real well. Any other platform, it's a POS but isolating apps in a container is a cool thing to have on hand (you don't get any weird dependency issues with apps when using docker containers).

1 Like

The video DOES magnify when the executable connects via Chrome Capture, but in a way that displays the side bar of links, and cuts off the left 1/6 of the screen. You can manually go in and make it full screen but that doesn't become the default. If you record something, you get the links and cut off screen.

Is your res above 1080p??

I got this message yesterday using Windows 10 and FoxFire browser, but had not seen it before. When I switched to the Edge browser, things worked fine.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the reply. I realized my issue was with the link. I had the right channel code, but I didn't realize you had to add an extra /player to the link. How did you figure that out? When you go to the guide and click on a channel, the link you get only has one /player

1 Like

So I did get this all to work with one minor little issue. Even though I have Philo set to start live on a show, it still starts at the beginning. Tried turning the setting off and back on and same result. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Well I'm desperate to get this solution working now that Spectrum "resolved" their issue with Disney, but removed eight channels in the process... including Freeform, FXX, FXM and Nat Geo Wild, which I watch regularly. I don't want to give up on Channels entirely, but I'm running two CableCARDS from Spectrum and now getting many fewer channels...

So anyway... I have this working with the Executable on a Mac Mini M1 with 8GB of RAM and the streams will play OK for a few minutes and then start skipping/dropping/rebuffering etc. My internal network is all gigabit hardwire connection points. It's almost like the Mac Mini is getting overwhelmed, so I'm wondering if I just need more horsepower for this solution to be viable? @tmm1 you mentioned you're running this on an M1 Mac Mini... any tips for stream stability?

Is your setup using NBC urls as the source for CC4C? Or, are you using Spectrum urls in your CC4C setup?

Any of the sources I use, which includes NBC, Paramount+, Weatherscan, etc. They all play fine for a little while and then devolve quickly into fits of buffering. I have gigabit internet that's just fine throughout the rest of the house, including this particular machine (I even swapped the cable fearing that was the issue). This of course, is aside from the muting that still happens with Peacock channels.

You may want to try setting up CC4C to use the Spectrum urls, and see if there is any difference. My CC4C machine is certainly powerful enough, but would sometimes see freezing when using NBC as the source url. When I switched the source to Fubo, it's been very stable.

1 Like

I was assuming it wasn't the source necessarily... especially since I'm seeing it across all sources. I don't have a Fubo account but do have Spectrum, but since they just dropped Freeform, FXX and FXM as part of their "resolution" with DIsney, I need to find a replacement service fast.

Ah, gotcha. My statement about Fubo was just an example of moving away from the NBC urls, not saying you should subscribe to Fubo. If you are seeing it on other sources, already, then disregard my statement. I don't have any experience with Mac, so I won't be much help here. :grin:

All good! I appreciate the attempt nontheless :slight_smile: