BETA: Craft your own experience with Personal Sections on tvOS and iOS

Library Collections are now available as content types for your rows in your Personal Sections.

I may be dense here but how do i specify a collection? I can create a button row but there seems to be no where to edit?

They aren't button rows. They're content rows listing collections, just like movies, tv shows, and episodes.

Create a content row, and choose collections as the Content Type.

I'm experimenting and adding a few of Personal Sections, brainstorming ideas. This is great.

Unlike Channel Collections, I noticed that their order on AppleTV is not matching the order I've added them via the Server Side Section. Feels like a bug?

Weird very odd. I’ll check it out.

As of the latest server pre-release and TestFlight beta, you can now set rows in your Personal Sections to show all of the items of a TV Show, Video Group, or Library Collection.

So now we can easily turn a Movie Collection into a row of movies in our Personal Sections. The holidays are gonna be lit y'all!

Note: the Personal Sections editor is starting to turn in to a real mess. This got even worse with the latest addition. We'll be cleaning it up soon to be a little manageable with the form fields when editing rows :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This may not be a bug but a programming choice, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

I've made a flow section using my movie collections, as seen below:

perssect1

Under Collections, I've set Action, Comedy, and Family collections to hidden. And when I go to this Personal Section (on the AppleTV) they are correctly not shown. However, as you see on the server UI above, all my movie collections show up on the editing page, with no indication of if I've set them to hidden or not.

It's not really a big issue, but it was confusing at first. So I thought I'd mention it. Maybe a badge showing which ones will be hidden might be useful?

Hmm, the reason is that hidden items are hidden by default on the client. But this is tricky because we give you the ability to pick the visibility of what’s showing via rules.

But it’s also annoying to have to manually re-hide hidden items for EVERY row you create.

So this is an interesting edge case I’ll have to think about.

As for the web, we never show hidden items so they show up. This is so you can always get to things to manage them.

But in this case, since it’s trying to be a preview of the client, we should probably hide them.

Thanks for pointing it out!

How do "Flow" type Sections work? I can not seem to get it to load on the client device when i select Content Type/Groups/ Video Group. Select a Video Group.
It just shows "Loading..." and spinning circle on the client.
Same if i select the TV Group Option, and select a TV show.

The Web GUI shows all the videos listed though. So it looks like a client side issue??

I like the Flow option, as it displays all videos in the whole screen,(not just 2 rows and a "more" button that then loads a full screen) and can set thumbnail style for art, so i can look very much like how Infuse has such a view.

It does load fine if i use the default thing it comes up with, Movies. Or any of the sections above the "Groups" section under the dropdown "Content Type"

1 Like

Sounds like a bug. I’ll check it out.

The new content types are now available on the Flow section types.

Working good now.

Is there any plans to add progress status bars/Watched green bar on the bottom each video icon for videos in Flow type?
Like there are on the normal views?
Minor thing, but just something i notice that does not show in this Flow type

Just wanted to second that I'm seeing this too.

This is already in place, but the options were not available for the new group based content types that were just added. This wasn't available in Flow or normal section rows. It's been added in the latest pre-release:

As mentioned, this should be working with movies, episodes, and videos already. Let me know if for some reason you're not seeing this.

1 Like

That was fast! Looks good.

Keep up the great work!

I love this Personal Sections level of customization. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Clicking the "Learn More" on "Personal Sections" results in a 404.

https://getchannels.com/docs/channels-dvr-server/how-to/custom-sections/

It seems that the video will not open when you use Library Collection via Content Row. Nothing happen when I click on the movie poster.

Ahh, good catch. I'll get that in there.

No rush. Thanks!