Beta: Downloads and Offline Playback

Getting failed downloads. On wifi, plenty of iPad space available. Submitted Test Flight feedback report and diagnostics in app.

EDIT - I'm getting iPad storage full error, but then it says 92 of 128GB used, so I'll need to look into it some more.

How do I get to the app settings when offline watching downloads?
It's almost like it's in a kiosk mode and only allows playing or deleting the downloads.

You can't right now. This part is currently limited.

Never mind. Can't get to settings on either app if no wifi, duh!

Does it share settings with the released version 5.1.0?
If so, I can open that to change the settings.
Trying to change settings to eliminate it dropping output frames (about 1 per second).

Yeah, the apps share settings.

@chDVRuser The crash you reported is fixed:

1 Like

So if I understand correctly - For now if I want to have an optimised version (to conserve iOS storage) of a Bluray thats sitting in my library, I should start up handbrake and create them and re add them into the library. Hence have two versions of anything that I may want to save offline ?

When you start any new download it's supposed to calculate if there is enough free space for all of the pending downloads, so that's interesting that the calculation wasn't correct here.

I will also look into making the Failed message clearer to specify the reason.

Not an issue, but just wanted to mention this.
If you're offline playing your downloads, when you start it just resumes where you left off.
If you're on wifi playing your downloads, when you start it asks Resume Playing or Start from beginning.

I think that's what Plex did (when I used it). Created another "optimized" copy.

Since they have plans to let you select which version to play, maybe the same can be done for downloads where you can select the BDRip to play locally and the smaller "optimized" version for downloading?

Ok I missed that. Yeah an optimised version for downloading would be handy. Until then, its easy enough to automate. Tag and Queue

Yes, this will all be the natural progression. One step at a time :grinning: we have a good idea on how all of this will work.

1 Like

Question: On a device where you have downloaded content, will channels give priority to the downloaded version rather than trying to stream? Use case: You are in a hotel with wifi, but the wifi is really weak. But you are not technically offline. If you try to watch a show that you have downloaded, will Channels choose the downloaded version or will it still try to stream through the weak wifi?

Yep, once a download has completed, anywhere in the app that you try to play that recording will use the downloaded version.

3 Likes

Thanks. Sometimes we just do what we gotta do. :slight_smile:

Also with a video digitizer (a Formac Studio) I later fed output from an old TiVo to my home Mac. This was well before remote streaming was a thing. Thankfully, iChat AV on the Mac was very scriptable, so I was able to set it to auto-answer incoming videoconference requests from my MacBook, and then I could watch live TV or recorded shows... on demand from afar, in an adjustable iChat window. Sort of a pseudo Slingbox. IIRC I had to hack the TiVo with TiVoWeb so it was IP controllable, lol. The setup actually worked a lot better than it sounds, all things considered.

I realize now that when I was younger, I'd go to great lengths to provide solutions that are a lot simpler today... thanks to genius developers like you and the rest of the Channels team. So once again, thanks! The education and enjoyment I've gotten from switching to Channels this past year has made my life better.

5 Likes

Downloading works fine.
Only issue is app storage used reported by iOS doesn't reflect reality.

Downloaded 3 recording, a little over 5GB.

Even after deleting recordings from within Channels app and restarting iPad numerous times, iOS still shows the same storage being used.

VLC doesn't have that issue, although Documents & Data size is off

After deleting video from VLC

Must be an iOS 15.1 bug.

iPhone 14.8 ios is reporting storage correctly after downloading and after a delete.

All those years of literally duct taping things together to make inputs that didn't want to talk to each other do so. Ah... I don't miss it!

1 Like

Feature request for this item:
For the use case where I’ve downloaded 10 or 50 shows to my iPad, and I leave home, and I am no longer connected to any internet. When I look at the shows that Channels has downloaded, I do not have as nice of a UI as I would expect. Channels is listing all of the shows, one by one as individuals, however it would be nice if the view showed them in “Groups” by show, rather than individual shows.

All the same niceties that Channels has in the normal UI would be helpful too, like sort by, order by, etc…

I also have the issue with the space being consumed with iPad OS 15.1