Beta: Downloads and Offline Playback

Submitted diagnostics for additional downloads over cellular. I also had a channels has crashed pop up with a crash. I was in airplane mode at that time and couldn’t submit during pop up

Can't wait to go home and try this! Been blown away by the amount of features your team has been releasing the past few weeks! Would be great to have an auto-delete option after a certain amount of time (I forget to delete files like this after a trip).

Also your screenshot still has the "Settings" options on the bottom menu instead of the "About." RIP settings option, wish that was still there!

1 Like

Lol, it sounds like you locked your app into Kiosk mode.

This is resolved in the latest TestFlight beta.

Crap. Thanks for the heads up.

We’re discussing the best way to handle deletions — there are a lot of potential solutions and situations to think about.

The worst thing would be to be on a long flight and think you have stuff to watch that has been automatically deleted on you, so we will want to be conservative in what we do.

1 Like

:+1:

@billyjoe @Rice The issue with cellular downloads is fixed in the latest TestFlight:

Worked great in my testing! A couple small comments:

It'd be nice if the textual progress used monospaced numerals (and in general was a bit more predictable appearing as the download progressed) — it jumps around a lot and is somewhat distracting.

When you are browsing the download list with no network connection, tapping on the name of the program does nothing — you have to tap in the "play" (thumbnail) area. It'd be nice if this would pop up some details/choices as it does in the usual interface.

I was one of the folks who requested this feature. How does one get an invite to the TestFlight?

You can find the instructions for joining our beta program here: Channels — Beta Program

Thank you Channels team! Road trips with the kids we be a little easier.

2 Likes

Agreed, this is a thoughtful approach... much appreciated.

This is also super cool:

Watch state is synced between your device and server when available. If you're offline, it will sync the next time your app is online.

If we delete from our offline device, can we get a popup asking if we want to delete the original from the server too? I'm thinking about what it would be like, returning from a trip, having to re-delete content off our AppleTV we've already watched and deleted on our iPad. Is there an easier way?

I don’t think we’ll go down that road. Downloads will be downloads and that’s it. I think it might be more surprising if it acted the way your suggested.

3 Likes

My vote would be keep deleting manual. A delete on download has no effect on server and a delete on server has no effect on downloads. I don’t think anybody would be happy if the kid watches five Star Wars movies on a trip and hits delete and arriving home the server picks up that delete.

Yeah, that makes sense. If the show's marker is "watched" we can easily re-do the housework later. Just thinking out loud. Carry on.

If you’re using Channels to auto-delete watched shows you’ll automatically get this right now because we sync the state. Is that enough for what you’d need?

Yes - that makes a whole lot of sense. Thanks!

Great first go.

An initial comment: more visual indicators are needed. To clarify, for example, when I go to an episode details, tap more options and select download, I see nothing at all that indicates that the download has started or that the episode is downloaded. I would expect to see that info there.

Additionally, similar to the keep forever treatment, have something similar for downloads.

Some more feedback:

It appears episodes don’t download when the app is in the background. Some kind of notice, possibly using local notifications, would be useful to alert to this fact.

Question: how are downloaded episodes sorted? Will you introduce any kind of basic sorting to the downloads view?