Beta: Downloads and Offline Playback

Having an issue with the default audio on the iPad when we were flying home today. Seems to have an issue when two pairs of airpods are in use. Didn't have any issues when using one pair. The audio breaks up and within 10 seconds or so you can't understand anything. The workaround is to pause the show and then play it again.

When in the no internet state, the commercial skipping options seem to be missing in the settings.

Good catch thanks!

This has been fixed and will show up in one of the next TestFlight beta releases.

1 Like

Using the beta. Trying to download while out of home. But iPad wonā€™t stay awake long enough to finish download. Am I missing something?

It continues downloading in the background.

Ok. Thatā€™s not happening in my case. The iPad is turning off and the download stops.

Please submit diagnostics from the app after this has happened.

Just had this happen, and submitted diagnostics.

It looks like you were trying to download remotely on a slow connection. We were seeing repeated timeouts, and eventually gave up on the download.

It looks like there is more we could do to make this condition clearer in the UI.

If you go to https://my.channelsdvr.net/speedtest what sort of speeds do you see?

Iā€™m getting 0.37 mbs.

When I do speed test on the speed test ap, I get 186 mbs. Is there something on my home computer thatā€™s causing the difference (think my max upload on my home computer where the sever is housed is 20 mbs).

Are you trying to do this download when you're at home or when you're away from your house?

When away from my home, from a hotel.

At home downloads work fine, and very fast.

Quite possible the hotel is throttling you.

If the speedtest link I sent is only reporting 0.37mbps, it seems that at the very least there are some issues between your hotel and your home network.

It's going to take so long at those speeds that I don't think we're going to be able to overcome that to complete the download.

Iā€™ve not had the issue of the downloads failing anymore. Was on a trip so didnā€™t have much of a chance to test for a while but since getting back itā€™s been fine, Iā€™ll report back if it happens again. Have been having some crashes while downloading in the background though so Iā€™ve just submitted diagnostics through test flight and within the app for that.

I have been testing out the beta for downloading DVR content and it seems to be a bit sluggish but also have times where it is downloading at 15 mbs. I was wondering if it is possible to click and drag my dvr files from the channels folder to my phone while it is connected to my Mac. Similar to how VLC kind of works. Then hopefully the app would identify the dvr file and show it in right place with in the app. If it is too complicated I can queue up the downloads the night before and they should be ready to go in the morning. Thanks for adding the ability to download, the UI of the app is way better than any other media app I have dealt with.

1 Like

Thereā€™s no plans to support iTunes file sharing like this. You can just do this with VLC as you mentioned.

Yep, this strategy will work as weā€™ve designed specifically for it. So if your WiFi is a bit slow, this is a good way to go.

2 Likes

When I tried this on slow wifi it timed out and didn't download. Submitted a ticket and Eric was looking into it, but nothing came of it.

Feature request: On the Downloads screen, show the total storage being used by all shows. And when looking at the episode list, show the total storage used for that show.

Apologies if this has been requested before but I think I read the entire thread and didn't see it.

2 Likes