BETA: Imported Content Extras (Trailers & Subtitles)

I've tested a bunch here, all are working great. Fantastic addition, thanks!

My only notes: The tooltip's text should be changed, now that the rules changed. Also if it's possible to link to a new tab with a YT search for "movie name (year) + trailer," it would be a very handy timesaver.

1 Like

It won't change until Android also supports this. :shushing_face:

Fair enough :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

I noticed trailers I assigned in the past went missing, perhaps lost prior to the bug fix in February, so I'm going through now and reassigning them all via YouTube links.

Could we get a search term for a Smart Rule that would help us find the movies in our library that have (or do not yet have) a trailer?

2 Likes

Wait, so this will play a YouTube video in the Channels video player?

In that case, can this functionality be extended to STRM file support?

Patience my friend.

2 Likes

I didn't think I would be that interested in this addition, but I am finding it very useful after playing around with it some today. Thanks!

Now, as mentioned above, it would be awesome to integrate stream links this easily. :grinning:
Holding on to that patience...

3 Likes

Were trailers ever added to the iOS app? On my iPhone I don't see a button or option after tapping "More".

Same here, not seeing them on my iPhone. Latest TestFlight.

They’re working fantastically on AppleTV though!

One other thought along these lines: it would be cool if there was a screen in the Channels interface that would let us browse and play the trailers we’ve assigned. (I mean, just by trailer, and not having to go by title, hoping that it has a trailer.)

There isn’t. It’s gotta be worked in.

A trailer button is now available on iOS and iPadOS as of the latest TestFlight beta.

1 Like

Just got to test this on both iOS and tvOS. It seems like Channels is pulling 720p for most YouTube links but for a couple I'm only seeing 360p:

I am working on using OpenAI-Whisper to generate automatic English subtitles for unedited television shows recorded from androidhdmi-for-channels and chrome-capture-for-channels. I test playback on an M1 Mac using IINA media player to play the generated .srt files with the Channels DVR recorded .mpg files and I am getting very good results with word recognition using the medium sized model.

However, Channels for Apple TV and the Channels App on M1 Mac does not seem to support playback of subtitle .srt files alongside Channels DVR recorded TV shows.

Reading this thread, it looks like this is supported for movies today. Is there any chance this can also be enabled for TV recordings?

For anyone interested here is the GitHub repository that I used to get started:

The model runs locally, so you need a lot of compute or a lot of time to create the subtitle files. I am running it under a bare metal Ubuntu install on an older Cisco UCS C240 Server with dual Xeon processors for a total of 56 cores and half a terabyte of RAM. On the server, the subtitle generator runs at between 150 and 500 frames per second depending on the video source.

2 Likes

Wow, fhis is awesome and inspiring. Very cool project, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks, if we can get channels support for the .srt files along side the recorded DVR tv shows, it will be even better. Right now, I can make it work by copying the original .mpg recording and the generated .srt into my local media folder, but when I do that I lose the commercials data since that is tied to the original path in the channels database.

1 Like

Enable "EDL Export" in the DVR settings, and the server will place an EDL file with commercial markers next to the recording, which you can then place into the import with the SRT.

Ive got mine setup exactly this way yet it literally never detects the subtitles.

For example: TV series in library folder, contains episode 1-6, MKV and SRT files for each episode which are named the exact same.

Yet no matter what I try (even refreshing metadata) ChannelsDVR NEVER picks up the subtitles on my Apple TV! Especially weird as it shows as an 'extra' for the episode when I check the admin panel..

Is there anything I am missing or can try?

I want to find out if what I am running into regarding forced subtitles is expected or a bug.

So, I have my forced (foreign language only) subtitles in the movie folder named the same as the movie. I can only get Channels to use that subtitle if I manually select "subtitles" from within the player when the movie starts playing. It will show the subtitles then.

What I was hoping is that I didn't have to manually do that but instead, if there is a forced subtitle in the folder the player would just automatically show the subtitle without me having to know ahead of time there is a forced sub track to be selected. Most of the time I don't know this until they start speaking a different language then I have to pause the movie, select subtitles to be "on" then rewind the movie to before that and start watching again.

What is the expected behavior at this time?

I'm not sure how Channels handles it, but for external forced subtitles, the filename should be Title.xx.forced.srt, where xx is the language code.

(I got sick of some players not respecting this pattern, and have instead gone on to remux my movies to include the subtitle file and manually flag it as forced.)

Thanks. Yes, that is how I have them named as well. It works fine in Emby and there, I don't have to manually select subtitles to be on, but rather it just knows and plays it when appropriate.

I thought about remuxing them into the file itself but from what I understand that will cause some players to have to transcode the file or something. That is the only reason I have never done that. In fact, when I have ripped some blurays that have a foreign language track I have extracted that subtitle file to create an external one for this reason.

Am I thinking correctly on the burned in subtitle vs external?

1 Like