BETA: Smart Commercial Detection for TVE & Pluto

@tmm1 here you go

Somehow this update effected my recording although I have always had commercial detection disabled. My playback device is Kodi with the Channels add-on. It shows red seek areas where it thinks the commercials are but they aren't correct. This is on a local FOX channel using TVE.

Are you using .EDL files generated by Channels DVR for Kodi?
The new Smart Commercial Detection does generate .EDL files and works even if you have commercial detection disabled in your DVR settings.

I don't see an .edl file in the folder of the effected recording.

It was the 6 o'clock news and during the sports, it jumped forward and Kodi showed a commercial notification. I skiped back to the sports and was able to continue watching.

I was able to figure out a simple way to use the Channels DVR generated EDL files from the new Smart Commercial Detection to create a VideoRedo VPrj project file to see the commercial markers in VideoRedo. Saves me a lot of time vs. copy and paste json and cleanup and multiplying timestamps and copy and paste again. Just a spreadsheet that accepts a paste of the EDL file contents and creates the VPrj file contents. Example here Convert Channels DVR .edl file to VideoRedo .VPrj file

Long story short - I don't need to run comskip on these to have it create the VPrj file.

1 Like

I would rather they didn't tell us how it works. It would just make it easier for the broadcasters to figure out a way to get around it.

3 Likes

I've had one show recorded from the discovery channel and the skip worked well. I'll be quiet unless there is an issue.

Thank you to the developers and Happy Holidays,

Morris

they already stated that it has something to do with how pihole works. Such things as well as other ad blockers and things many are open source and free for broadcasters and companies to look at and figure out how they work.

I suspect it has something to do with components that detect the ads coming from known add servers or something like that. That is in part how add blocking DNS works

1 Like

Pi-hole is just a blacklist of domain names. And if any request comes in for a domain on the blacklist, it sends back an IP of 0.0.0.0 instead of the normal DNS IP for that domain name.

Which means that this would be a similar blacklist for content that comes from ad servers. But instead of sending a false IP like Pi-hole, it probably just uses that check to mark what to skip on playback.

Comskip, on the other hand, scans frame-by-frame of the full video content looking for segments based on resolution, audio volume, channel logo placement, and a number of other factors.

Can you give Fox News a shot ?

Discovery homestead rescue worked much better than comskip. The first thing i noticed was the handling of the “commercial break in progress” was much better.

“Life below zero” on the national geographic channel didnt work well at all. I verified with the web interface log that the new detection ran, not comskip.

@tmm1 please let me know if you would you like me to upload the file somewhere or anything else you need.

Ill continue to test on random shows and repeats. A lot of my “new” shows are all on hiatus for the holidays.

But you will miss the My Pillow guy! Isn't that your hero?

4 Likes

Nat geo wild shows still fail. has that been worked on?

Please ad a setting to DISABLE this new commercial scanner, at least for certain passes. Or only enable it on tested and proven channels.

it is really annoying having to go in to each recorded show and run comskip manually. This new thing runs regardless of comskip enable to disable.
95% of my shows now do not have working com skip.

:+1: :+1: :+1:
Excellent
Five random Pluto recordings checked with my video editor.

Already did?

Disabled smart ad detector on Fox and NGC channels where it isn't working

I haven't had one work perfectly. Most work for the first couple commercials but miss the last one or two. One skipped the sports segment on the local news but thankfully it was the only one that I had to skip back. I have to agree with Speedingcheetah for the first time, and ask for a way to turn this off or match it to only certain channels.

Where is there an option to disable it per show or pass or channel? that is what i asked for, not an update that that to be installed after the many shows recorded, that hard disables it on just a few channles. Gove the user more control over this. It feels very forced. WHen it works, its awesome, but when it does not, its epic fail.

How many have you had skip past actual programming?
I tested about 8 shows and only one forced me to skip back. However, not one has skipped every commercial.

On affected channels/shows...None. cause it does not mark any commercials at all. or if it does, its 2 segments of 30secs, that are during a commercial break, so its useless. i have to manualy FF through the breaks.

the edit commercials does not work on the server with recordings done by this new scanner.