BETA: Smart Commercial Detection for TVE & Pluto

@tmm1 any thoughts on adjusting the commercial skip options to allow for a skip setting for the new commerical detection recordings vs comskip?

What I would want to do is require manual skipping for comskip but auto skipping for the smart detections.

1 Like

The science channel?

It works on science.

I had a bunch of videos from Comet TV record through TV Everywhere yesterday. They all say they detected ads, none of them will let me edit the commercials unless I redetect using Comskip. So if the new ad detector is letting us edit commercials, it is hit or miss at this point.

If you update to prerelease then yes you can edit them.

Would regional NBCSports channels be included in this category? I have some upcoming Warriors games I could test against, assuming it would be worth the effort.

Looks like your pin fell out.
https://community.getchannels.com/t/beta-smart-commercial-detection-for-tve-pluto/30389/2

It would be really great if there was a user controlled parameter for no sound=commercial. 0=As is now. >0 = the number of consecutive seconds of no sound to declare the segment a commercial.

During shows, even when nobody is talking there seems to always be some background sound, but the static "commercial in progress blocks" (at least on Fox News/Business) have zero sound.

1 Like

We record Fox business news in the mornings and the commercial detection doesn't show properly with the android tv app, but if I watch on the web the commercials are indexed correctly.The server is running the latest beta v2022.01.04.2130 and the android tv is up to date.

Commercial detection and marking was flawless this morning on 3 CNN shows after being nothing but frustrating with comskip, so kudos!

1 Like

Reading between the lines, because I'm not sure when a program will be using this.
I've had back-back overlapped recordings from TVE & Pluto channels where the first recording used it, but the second didn't. Like two ATK or Beverly Hillbillies episodes back-back.

Do you have to whitelist or blacklist these channels?
i.e. is it tried on every streaming channel (TVE/M3U) and if it works you whitelist it or if it doesn't you blacklist it.

If I could give one bit of feedback on the Smart Commercial Detection...
It works pretty well about 95% of the time. Bravo!

If I could say one thing constructive, it would be to identify that it does not detect the beginning and end of the show like Comskip does. When you have the DVR extending the recording by 1 minute in the beginning, and 3 minutes at the end, it never seems to find those cut points.

4 Likes

Is that any different that Comskip?

Yes, typically Comskip would put a cut point where the show actually begins and ends. (Not 100%, but close)

2 Likes

I guess what I watch is not typical as I rarely see the cut at the beginning and end.

1 Like

I'm with @Morris_Altman. A lot of programs/networks just go last show into next without a break, so I often don't have them marked as such at the beginning and at the end. I wish there were some automagic way to ignore the end of the last show recording with a buffer, but I can see why it is technically not that feasible.

FYI, I go +3 minutes on both ends on all recordings.

I start on time and run +3 minutes and this has worked very well. With everything using an Internet clock on my side, the starts work great yes some networks seem to have clocks that drift and that's why the +3 is necessary. +1 seems to be enough yet it makes no difference in functionality so I've left it. The + 3 is a left over from my TiVo days where the TiVo time drift was quite bad.

As @babsonnexus stated, wat you are seeing are commercial breaks.

I also miss this behavior when using the new Smart Commercial Detection. With Comskip, I was able to mark the end of the previous program and the start of the next program as "commercials" to skip right to the main content when watching.

Since programs sometimes start a bit late, in addition to having padding, this results in parts of adjacent programs being lumped together with the main content when using Smart Commercial Detection. Even if Comskip by default doesn't mark the previous/next programs as commercials, it still adds the cut points (allowing manual marking), unlike Smart Commercial Detection.

However, if there are no commercials between two programs, I can see how it might not be technically feasible to detect that cut point with the Smart Commercial Detection, since the next/previous program is very likely coming from the same domain as before (and not from an ad domain).

I'm pretty sure that's correct.
Unlike comskip, the new detection method doesn't break out as many blocks in the edit commercials.
One can always manually redetect commercials which uses comskip.
And yes, that would be a manual workaround. Another reason why someone would want to disable the new ad detection.

1 Like