BETA: Support for Tablo tuners (Gen 3)

I'm sure they've got their reasons but to me it seems like they've boxed themselves in. (Or fenced us out!)

2 Likes

Oh wow. So I just noticed this upgrade, so I updated my server, she there it was! My Tablo quad tuner showed up!

But I have a question....
If I have the same channels from the HDHR and from the Tablo. It only shows one in the guides, and it doesn't say from which one it is. So if I tune to a channel I have no way of knowing if it will tune to HDHR or to the Tablo.
Is there a way to tell them apart?
Or is this meant to work only if I don't already have a HDHR?

1 Like

During my testing, I decided to setup a second local network and DVR server with only the Tablo tuner available. I didn't want my Tablo testing to mess with my main DVR system. So far, I haven't been able to get more than one channel to stream at the same time from my Tablo. If I record or play one channel and then try start another channel, it will play for a couple of seconds and then error out. Also the recordings are having a fast-forward/rewind problem. I haven't sent any diagnostics yet as I am still trying to verify my setup is good.

1 Like

Found out why my Tablo was not working properly. I had removed the external usb storage since I was only using the tuner function, but apparently it needs at least some external storage for temporary buffers. Now my Tablo seems to be working very good with Channels. Channels may have some difficulty determining if all the Tablo tuners are in use, but still testing.

3 Likes

Tablo is not showing up in my list of custom channels, it was working previously any tips on how to get it back? I am running 2022.11.15.1908 Stable

You need to update to a pre-release version. Tablo support is not in the stable version.

1 Like

I'm running Channels DVR 2022.11.15.1908 (I've never ran Pre-Release) on macOS and this showed up for me:

I think I did have to click the little gear next to Add Source and select "Scan Network". Then the Tablo showed up.

While it's a neat addition to Channels, I kinda wish there was a way to tell Channels to ignore the Tablo. I'm hoping that by not setting it up it will leave it alone. Kinda want to keep the two worlds separate.

1 Like

If you don't assign it data/location, the DVR will not use it.

1 Like

I have the latest prod version of Channels, v2022.11.15.1908. Tablo just appeared as a source even though I didn't have plans to add it. Is there a way to force Channels to ignore my Tablo as a tuner? I have 3 other HDHR units that I have dedicated to my Channels DVR, and I want to make sure that shows are being recorded via that instead of the Tablo.

I believe if you do not assign guide/provider info for the tuner, the DVR (and therefore the clients, too) will not use it.

1 Like

You have to also disable them in the Clients ... The Clients will use them. If in the sources, they have priority at the client.

1 Like

Do the clients see a Tablo? I thought they only saw SD tuners?

1 Like

Oh I did not know that. Thanks for the Info noting it.

So How do you watch LIVETV without tuner sharing ? just curious.

IIRC, Tablo tuners are handled the same as other non-HDHR sources: all management of them is through the DVR, Channels essentially treats them as a Custom Channel or SAT>IP source.

1 Like

This has been working great so far, for me. God how I hate all Tablo native software. Channels is so so much nicer.

One issue, though. I had limited subchannels in the Tablo app (so only 11 of the 62 channels showed up). Channels only shows the stations that were enabled, and not the full lineup available to the Tablo (so in my case, 11).

I went into Tablo and enabled all 62 stations/subchannels, and reloaded the lineup for the Tablo in Channels (incidentally, it shows as a HDHomeRun on the cog label) and it still only shows 11 stations/channels.

I removed the Tablo and added it again. Same problem.

Anyone else having that issue?

Thaaaank you for supporting the tablo hardware. Your client experience on apple TVs is so superior, and your commercial skip is fantastic.

Things have been working perfectly since installation, but we just had a pretty bad winter storm that caused a lot of reboots of my server, and each time the server came back up, the tablo tuner would be missing from my lineup until I logged into the server and forced it to scan the network. Is there a way to remember that tablo is there after booting up?

Yes, I know I can put the server on a UPS to avoid this. That is on my list.

I am also using Tablo tuners. The tuners have been found after every reboot.
I haven't had to scan them since the initial setup.
My server runs on Linux - Zorin OS (Ubuntu variant).
What are you using for the server?

PS. I do agree with your commercial skip observation. It is indeed fantastic!

1 Like

Currently I’m running as a service on windows 10. I said reboot in my original post, but the same thing occurs when I stop and start the service.

updating to the latest beta fixed it. I needed to update for a fix to TVE for discovery channel’s authentication, and it fixed both problems.

1 Like