BETA: Support for Tablo tuners (Gen 3)

IIRC, Tablo tuners are handled the same as other non-HDHR sources: all management of them is through the DVR, Channels essentially treats them as a Custom Channel or SAT>IP source.

1 Like

This has been working great so far, for me. God how I hate all Tablo native software. Channels is so so much nicer.

One issue, though. I had limited subchannels in the Tablo app (so only 11 of the 62 channels showed up). Channels only shows the stations that were enabled, and not the full lineup available to the Tablo (so in my case, 11).

I went into Tablo and enabled all 62 stations/subchannels, and reloaded the lineup for the Tablo in Channels (incidentally, it shows as a HDHomeRun on the cog label) and it still only shows 11 stations/channels.

I removed the Tablo and added it again. Same problem.

Anyone else having that issue?

Thaaaank you for supporting the tablo hardware. Your client experience on apple TVs is so superior, and your commercial skip is fantastic.

Things have been working perfectly since installation, but we just had a pretty bad winter storm that caused a lot of reboots of my server, and each time the server came back up, the tablo tuner would be missing from my lineup until I logged into the server and forced it to scan the network. Is there a way to remember that tablo is there after booting up?

Yes, I know I can put the server on a UPS to avoid this. That is on my list.

I am also using Tablo tuners. The tuners have been found after every reboot.
I haven't had to scan them since the initial setup.
My server runs on Linux - Zorin OS (Ubuntu variant).
What are you using for the server?

PS. I do agree with your commercial skip observation. It is indeed fantastic!

1 Like

Currently I’m running as a service on windows 10. I said reboot in my original post, but the same thing occurs when I stop and start the service.

updating to the latest beta fixed it. I needed to update for a fix to TVE for discovery channel’s authentication, and it fixed both problems.

1 Like

With the latest prerelease, check Experimental > Tablo Support to access tablo network tuners.

1 Like

Thanks Again for all your help :grinning:

a dev here the other day said it would not matter as channels ignores the internal hard drive or external hard drive in Tablo's use. Are you stating the that buffering is shorter or stability is improved when recording from 3-4 channels as Tablo does use the storage in real time for buffering the signal. ? I just picked up a tablo quad for a good price, but am seeing some terrible image processing issues, doe to the signal being transcoded. Guess I should have studied more before droping $60 on tablo quad. Yes a good deal, but the picture at 77" is softer than what OTA should look like, I have an OTA tivo as well. I guess I am gona start looking for a deal on a hdhomerun since they do not molest the stream.

1 Like

For whatever reason, I was not able to get my Tablo working reliably without a small external drive. And I still had some problems with occasional failures especially when all the tuners were in use. I already have two of the HDHomerun Flex devices, so I don't really need to use the Tablo, so I just stopped testing it. I know it does always transcode for all its apps, didn't think Channels was getting a transcoded stream. Anyway, HDHomerun is well tested and very reliable, Tablo not so much yet.

1 Like

I haven't had any issues with the Tablo tuners.
Mine has an internal drive though.

I just added My Tablo Quad. It seems to connect fine, and then after about 15 seconds, I lose the signal. It works perfectly in the Tablo app, so I'm not losing the OTA signal. Does this sound familiar? Is there anything I have to select on the Tablo unit or in the Channels software? I'm running 2023.0104.2027 on a raspberry pi

Please submit diagnostics

Just tried to auto scan for a 4th Gen Tablo turner and none was found. Not sure if the 4th Gen Tablo isn't supported or another issue with setting up my server.

FYI

It's likely they've changed the interface for those devices, and if they have, we do not have support for them at this time.

Same here. New Tablo 4th gen id not discovered. I have the Tablo discover checkbox checked and did a rescan. 2023.08.18.2205 software.

This Tablo should solve a few problems for me when traveling, with Wi-Fi connection and a small drive built-in. Now I can connect it near an attic antenna with no ethernet available, or nearly any window. No external Wi-Fi adapter or external HD on a Tivo Stream. It would be nice to use at home if I can find a good antenna position for my weakest OTA station. Much better antenna position flexibility with Wi-Fi instead of long coax or long ethernet cables.

Am I correct in assuming that other than the new 4th gen model, that doesn't work with Channels DVR, they all limit resolution/bitrate?
Is there a hardware limitation of the 4th gen model that prevents it working with Channels? Thanks.

@tmm1 Please add support for the 4th gen tablo I have purchased this device with the understanding that channels dvr would be supporting the newer model thanks in advance.