Better looking captions?

Just wondering if classic-looking captions can be turned into Netflix-style subtitles. Black blocks with withe letters are definetely old looking. I’m guessing the style is coded deep down into the video player, as it doesn’t seem to abide by the captions style settings in tvOS and iOS…?

Update: web player does allow style change for caption in macOS, or at least some change: you can select pre-defined formats or custom styles, but it doesn’t seem to accept some settings, like font color.

1 Like

What is Netflix style?

I haven’t been able to find a way to read the iOS/tvOS caption Settings, which makes it hard to change our behavior based on them.

By Netflix-style I just meant better-looking text, based on custom settings. If you can’t access those setting on iOS/tvOS, maybe you can provide two or three different styles? (No black blocks, please, just transparent background!)

Not sure how it works in the US/Canada, but for DVB the caption size and colour are hard coded. You usually see different colours for different characters who are speaking, etc. I don’t think there is a way to change them.

A new beta of the tvOS app is available via testflight with custom styling for captions. The styles can be changed in Settings.app under General > Accessibility > Captions.

1 Like

Works great, thanks! Old captions now look so dated…

1 Like