Buffer filling on new HD

I am using exFat per I believe your recommendation on another thread from when I got the new drive :slight_smile:

What drive is it? Does it have its own power brick? How long have you been using it? How full is it?

Is a WD Black P10 5TB drive, about 30% full. Been using it for a week or so now.

I thought LiveTV buffer when sharing tuners does not use the HD? It is obvious you are using tuner sharing ...2022/07/03 19:01:31.426820 [WRN] Buffer for 1059D86A ch4.1 is more than 99% full (clients=2, len=66438916)

It looks like the clients cannot process the buffer fast enough so the small buffer in memory at the server is getting full.

Should I not be sharing? Couldn't find any setting or something related to tuner sharing. Also not sure if the transcoder should be set to something to help ease the load on the file (right now its at none). This only occurs on OTA channels, TVE ones don't see to have this problem.

IIRC, when using internet-based sources (non-HDHomeRun tuners) or when tuner sharing is enabled, the server maintains a small buffer of live streams to serve to clients. The WRN (warning) messages in the log refer to the server's inability to either keep up with the incoming streams, or the clients' abilities to keep up with the streams. (Either the data is coming in too quickly for the server to handle, or it is getting to the clients too slowly before new data can be handled.) As Aman stated, the root-issue is resource exhaustion; in layman's terms it basically means either your network is the bottleneck, or the storage device for your DVR (and its I/O or bandwidth) is the bottleneck (or both).

Tuner sharing is a client setting, and only affects OTA/cable streams.

That is unrelated and will not affect the buffer.

I'm assuming then you are in the US, and these are MPEG-2 broadcasts. Also based on this:

I would wager your issue is an inadequate network.

I thought that when watching LIVETV with tuner sharing there is no activity in the HD. The stream goes from the HdHomerun to the server buffer in memory then served to the clients.

That may be, but the logs from the OP indicate this is a recording, not a live stream for OTA/tuner sharing.

1 Like

I noticed the network error as well, but that doesn’t make much sense as everything is hardwire connected via Cat 6??

You could have a bad cable. You could have a lot of traffic/congestion on your network. A router/switch could be bad.

There are many reasons why a network may have issues, even if it is hardwired.

1 Like

Is there any way I could tease this out further? I did the DVR sever test via the channels DVR app on my shield and it came back with a download speed of just under 2000mbs and a latency of less than 1ms but I suppose thats all on device.

If that's the case, then the issue is probably somewhere between your tuner and the DVR. (If you also experience no issues when viewing live TV with tuner sharing disabled, that will help you to further narrow down the problematic network segment.)

Appreciate the help thus far. How do I disable the sharing?

It is set per client, and off by default. If you never enabled it, then there is nothing to do. Otherwise, in the client it is found under Settings > Playback > Advanced > Tuner Sharing.

Looks like it’s off and if I just have the channel on live there doesn’t seem to be much of an issue that I can tell

I have two clients (shield and ATV) streaming different OTA channels with sharing off and I’m not see anything jitteriness or anything which is what I expect I would see with a high network error? Only other place I can look for info is the HDHR logs which don't say much or the tuner info which says the streaming rate is about 10-11 mbps. Anything else I should look for or is this a good sign that the network connection is sufficient?

Does the drive have its own power source or are you just using the usb to power it? What hardware is running the dvr server?

The drive is USB powered (its the "gaming" series WD Black with speeds up to 130mb/s) and is driven by an NVIDA Shield Pro which is the host for the server.