Buffering on recorded shows

Go into settings in the client app and submit diagnostics right after the issue occurs, then post back here.

Thanks... the CLIENT APP is where the recordings are saved or the app that I am watching the recordings on?
Thanks

Recordings are always saved to your DVR server. That is separate from the buffer. The buffer is local to the client device.

When watching a recorded program, the local client app receives the stream from the DVR server in segments, and caches/buffers those segments locally. While you are watching in real-time, the client is downloading the next several segments so they are available and ready. When you skip/fast-foward, the client looks to see if it already has the segment for the newly requested timecode. If not, it has to ask the server for the new segment(s), and then the process starts all over again.

OK, I just submitted Diagnostics from my Apple TV Channels App... trying to play BLACKLIST and buffering from the beginning...

And I just submitted a second log trying to play a newer recording, THE ROOKIE.... same thing.

The app is struggling to download the video file from your DVR. Try running the speedtest again while you're experiencing the issue to see if it shows a lower number.

If the network speeds are still fine, then that would suggest maybe your Disk speeds on your DVR machine are maxing out.

while playing BLACKLIST, I submitted the log as well....

QUESTION.... could this be due to the "partition" I made to keep the data on my drive?

1 Like

Check Activity Monitor > Disk to see if the disk is overloaded

not sure what to look for, is this it?

What else is happening on those disks. You have 1.12TB shared between 6 volumes

Not sure... how would I check?

I just submitted diagnostics from my
DVR
TIVO Stream
Apple TV

I rebooted EVERYTHING and REINSTALLED the Channels DVR on my iMac and still have the BUFFERING issues on two different devices.
I really can't use this at all for any recordings, can you please help figure out what's wrong?
Thanks

Your network is fine so the problem is with the disk.

The disk is not fast enough or is it overloaded or the way you have it setup is causing problems.

If you change the dvr location to another drive does the problem go away?

1 Like

I reinstalled it from the partition to the main drive... it's a 1TB Fusion setup...I think the dick is a 7200 and it has an SSD that is not accessible.
Is there anything I can take a screenshot of (Activity) to show you?

I don't know much about fusion setup but my guess is that's the issue. Do you have another normal USB3 drive you can plug into the Mac and use for recordings?

Like a flash drive? I have a 128GB pocket flash drive.

No, you need a real usb 3 hard drive with lots of storage. Like a normal external hard drive.

It appears your internal hard drive is having issue so you should purchase a new external hard drive for your DVR storage.

Thank you for clarification... any chance the Apple Time Capsule would do the job? It's not SSD.