Can’t See Mapped Network Drive

I just moved a few external HDD’s that I had connected to my computer over to the usb 3 connection on the back of my NAS. When I try to stop and restart the DVR so I can point it at the database to restore, nothing shows up but the C: drive on my computer running the DVR. I have all of my network folders mapped and all other devices on my network can see them - why can’t Channels?

I assume you can eventually figure out the sharing of the drives. But the Channels Developers have clearly said they do not recommend you use a network share for the DVR Database for performance reasons. I.E. They are saying you will not be happy with the results.

Ideally you should run the DVR on the NAS with the locally attached drives or keep the drives on your computer.

I figured it out. A second google search cleared it up. I just needed to edit one of the registry values to EnableLinkedConnections.

Previous to this I had an external drive connected to my PC via UBS 3 and had zero issues with Channels DVR. What is different about moving that external drive to my NAS?

Which registry value? Is the DVR running in the system tray or as a service?

We don't recommend recording to a NAS because video data from the HDHR has to flow back and forth to the network drive putting a lot more stress on your network. If you have a solid gigabit network then it shouldn't be a problem.

1 Like

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

1. Point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
  2. Type EnableLinkedConnections, and then press ENTER.
  3. Right-click EnableLinkedConnections, and then click Modify.
  4. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
  5. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

I have a gigbit network and haven’t noticed any issues, everything is wired and runs from the main PC where Channels is installed running from the system tray. I use Apple TV’s throughout the house.

2 Likes