Cancelling Cox - Need Help with Replacement TVE Provider!

I dumped Crapcast TV service going on 15+ years ago, installed an OTA antenna and my first NTSC steaming tuner (SlingBox). Switched to a SiliconDust ATSC tuner as soon as they were first released. I conservatively estimate I have saved $27000 over that time period not paying for a TV subscription package. Other than live sports, it's mostly all [redacted] anyway. I get my local news and don't have to listen to the national shout news shows. My life is a lot less stressful as a result. What I don't get OTA, I read on the internet or stream. My Samsung TVs include 200+ streaming channels for free as well.

Finally dumped Crapcast internet when ATT Fiber was available in my area. I told Crapcast, it will be a cold day in hell before I use their service again. A week later, Crapcast called me begging me to come back, offering me a just released new special plan. I asked "did hell freeze over?"

1 Like

If I don't go with Spectrum (I won't if they won't give me a CableCard option, not sure I need it anyways) it looks like the 2 streaming services that will work for me are FuboTV and Hulu w/ Live TV. Is 1 more reliable than the other for TVE and Channels DVR?

I thought I read most providers are doing away with CableCARD.

Here is a great tool to find the right streaming service, at the lowest cost, for what you watch. Simply enter the channels you must have and it shows you all the services and costs associated:

I ended up with Directv Stream and Channels DVR works perfectly with it. Check all the available services currently integrated into TVE before you choose to sign up with one.

1 Like

Is it worth trying to get a CableCard and dealing with a local cable company? Is the quality BETTER than TVE?

I have been very happy with Philo and is $20 a month.
I also do supplement my TVE with an secondary Xfinity account because my elderly Grandparents are still old school and have cable (they have to have their Fox News). So with that, I get like 20 more channels that Philo does not offer TVE access to.

Then you also have to get a HDHomerun Prime.

Often no. But depends on the cable company.
I recall, years back, when I had Xfinity and cable card, they made all the channel streams 720P with not so great compression, looked pretty trashy.
TVE is still 2.0 Stereo audio though, where as many Cable Card channels can be 5.1, again, if the provider has it that way.
For best quality though, almost always via antenna, as in most areas, OTA channels are 1080i with 5.1 audio and much higher bitrate. And with ATSC3.0 stations in some area, even better quailty.

I have a HDHomerun in the closet, so was thinking of putting it to work, just don't know if it's actually any better nowadays and/or worth the trouble dealing with the old school cable co's.

I also notice an improvement in picture quality when I did away with my TIVO with Xfinity. The 720 compression they used just killed the picture. So when I started using youtubeTV with channels I was really excited about the difference in picture. But with all the security they added to it. Just made it harder to use and you don't know if they are going to do something to where you can't use it at all with 3rd part. I have tried fubo, philo, and hulu live. Still using Hulu and haven't hand any problems. Only reason I moved on from fubo and philo is that hulu had everything I was looking for and had a promotion including disney and espn+ for $62 a month. I couldn't pass up the deal so I switched. I agree that 5.1 sound is missing. But it isn't everything and I can get most of that on other streaming services (prime, netflix, disney). I like hulu and it works fine. You also get all the on demand streaming with it too. But I will be honestly I hardly ever go on it.

1 Like

Note that spectrum uses drm in most locations so cablecard is pretty useless

Even worse is they tend to DRM-protect the HD version of a network, but leave the SD version unprotected—at least that was their MO in classic Charter areas ... TWC and Brighthouse locales tended to get DRM on everything.

My neighbor is using an old Tivo setup and uses Specturm and cable cards. Maybe they don't DRM here yet.

Tivo is different they can record DRM Channels DVR cannot.

1 Like

Search the forum for "Spectrum essentials" many are using that for TVE

1 Like

Appears this is only for Spectrum customers that buy their ISP through them. Also, no Sports.

Is "Spectrum choice" available to you? This may be an option, in conjunction with another OTT provider.

I pay less for my choice + FUBO setup than i did for DirecTV, and the spectrum choice allows me all of the cable-based locals (big deal here as a secondary DMA is a cable-exclusive), as well as adding the Turner channels (and others) to my Spectrum choice channels. Best of both worlds, really.

This also makes it easier to go full-blown cable, should you want to, as well as disconnecting fully from cable, if the OTT solution fills your needs.

I have T-Mobile Home Internet. As a customer I get Parmount+ free and $10/mo discount on Philo. Along with an antenna I'm saving over $100/mo.

You've gotten good advice here already regarding TVE providers, I just wanted to add that if you want remote viewing, you'll have to use some workarounds since T-Mobile Home Internet uses CGNAT.

If T-Mobile is still offering $10 off a month for Youtube TV for a year, that's also an option for the channels you need. Sling would be great but the last time that I checked, they have almost NO usable TVE for Channels. There's also Vidgo, which to me is really only useful as a way to get TVE for channels, but at this point their price is approaching Youtube TV. Like others here, I use Philo, but I don't need news/sports.