Cannot connect remotely

I assume in MacOS?

yeah, you said the only thing that changed was your new mac, so something on there is preventing connection on the port.

Did you run the installer again and uninstall the DVR from the old mac?

When I got my new mac, I shut down the old iMac (did not uninstall Channels) and installed Channels server on my new iMac.

It works fine at home, but seems I can't access from outside.

Did you turn on the Remote Access feature? Is it set to manual or automatic? What does it say next to the setting?

1 Like

I just tried again using LTE, and I am now able to access. It seems when I was at a Wifi hotspot, I got that error.

Thanks. Let me tinker around with this and see if there is a pattern.

Depending on what kind of WiFi hotspot you were using, they may block content like this. Especially likely if it’s a coffee shop or something like that.

1 Like

I'm getting the same error on my iPad again when using cellular data. I'm at home and testing it. The firewall is not on and the Remote settings are as seen above.

Any help would be appreciated.

I did a connection check and it appears fine.

Hmm. The strange thing is that I can connect via my iPhone without issue. Let me look a bit more.

Perhaps the DNS server your device is using has stale entries, or your device is using a DNS cache that isn't current ... you could try resetting the network settings, which would wipe those settings out and force them to be renewed upon next connection.

1 Like

DNS on my iPad or in my computer where the Channels server is?

iPad

Try changing dns to 1.1.1.1

1 Like

Please remember, I am trying to connect via LTE when I am outside my home, so I do not see a way to change the DNS for that. I did try downloading the Four 1s app to force it to 1.1.1.1, but still the same error.

I do not get the error when I connect via my home Wifi.

Oh, and I was incorrect before. IF I am using LTE on my iPhone, I get the same error as I get on my iPad.

If you still can't access your DVR remotely, are you sure that it is available outside your network? Have you opened the port on your router and forwarded it to your server? Is your ISP blocking the port?

I don't think I need to do that. Nothing has changed. The only change is that I got a new iMac and hooked up exactly the same external DVR hard drive to it.

Perhaps this is related:

Seems port is now unable to automatically forward. I will do this manually and let you know...

Okay, I think I understand what happened. I was already forwarding port 8089 in my router from the IP address of my old Mac! I deleted that forwarding request from my router and now it works!

Whew! Sorry for the trouble and time this has caused you all!

1 Like