Channel Master Remote Apple TV Replacement

I see. I had only ever single-clicked the Home button.

But now that I've tried it, I see the additional functionality. And yes, both the Channel Master and my trained OfA match the functionality of the Apple TV remote: Single click takes me to Home screen. Double-click pulls up an app switcher. Long press causes some sort of quick settings overlay menu to pop in from the right.

Only caveat is that it isn't flawless. The double-click on CM and OfA doesn't work if you click too quickly or too slowly; the Apple TV remote seems a little less finicky. But it does all work.

I can confirm that you can program the Home button of the OfA with the channels remote. I programmed all the buttons with the Channel remote except the bottom 4.

1 Like

The bottom four can only be programmed for macros of the other buttons with the Apple TV. I've not found a use for them. According to their tech support, you are supposed to be able to learn functions with them, but after some time with them on the phone we could never get that to work. I tried to setup a Macro to call a top row app, but it was very unreliable so I abandoned it.

I will now order a Channel Master and use it to program the home button on my OfA remotes so I get the full functions of it. I still prefer the OfA because I have the couple of extra buttons I can use for Guide and Live (Red Power and *)

Tactile wise the OfA is much better you will see. Using the the Channel Master very easy to hit the wrong button when you are going up down or select.

I finally got back from my daughter the Harmony Hub with remote that I gave her and is not using. I want to try playing around with that one.

I just received the ChannelMaster remote and am thrilled! Its TV button works perfectly with no Bluetooth and this is the first remote I've seen do that. Not sure how they are accomplishing it because there isn't a button on the Siri remote you can use to train it, but it works. Single press, double press, and long press.

The first thing I did was program my One for All Streamer to learn this button. And it works perfectly for all 3 functions. Ironically, the ChannelMaster stuggles to bring up the task list reliably with double click , and it took many attempts before I got a double up arrow to cancel an app. The One for All seems much more consistent with the learned function than the ChannelMaster in was responding to the double click every time, and canceling apps every time I did the double up arrow.

Now I have finally settled with a remote that I'm very happy with on the Apple TV with Channels DVR. I can program my other 3 One for Alls with this guy.

2 Likes

Glad to hear also the double arrow up is how it works just like my apple keyboard so I was not surprised when the remote was the same way.

I just programmed my harmony hub and remote so I use that as my main TV remote. Since it's Bluetooth I like that better plus I have some of my lighting setup on it.

Another approach, which doesn't eliminate the need for line of sight, but allows you to tuck the AppleTV away, behind the TV or in a cabinet, is an infrared repeater, which also offers a bigger target.

True. In my case it would look kind of ridiculous because the Apple TV is sitting on white built in shelves, but maybe I might look into getting a repeater and then I could relocate it into the cabinet under the shelf. That would solve the problem of the TV button needing line of site. If I could fish it through the wall to above the fireplace and attach it to the bottom of the TV would be perfect.

They should build in IR repeaters into TVs.

On one TV, I just centered it perfectly on the bottom lip and it looks like a built-in part of the TV. On the other, it's hidden on the side of the credenza, but just visible enough for the Harmony Hub that's behind and to the right of my couch to be able to send it commands. Both TVs have a USB port that powers the IR repeater, no AC plug required, and thankfully these IR repeaters are available in very long lengths.

I know that conceptually it seems like a janky solution, but it works exceptionally well, reliably and instantaneously for me. I haven't had a single issue. Once you figure out placement, if possible, it opens up some interesting doors. Since my Harmony Companion doesn't even emit infrared, I don't need to worry about line-of-sight, because the Hub always has it.

You can also go Bluetooth from the hub to apple TV no repeaters needed.

Yes but only on the Hub-based remote, not the IR remote like my Harmony 650 or the Channel Master this thread is about. And even in the living room where I have a Hub, the IR repeater isn't for the AppleTV, as that's using Bluetooth, it's for the TV and HDMI switcher, which are also hidden in the credenza.

The hub based Harmony remotes have their own challenges in my experience. Part of the reason why my Elite is in the closet.

Now I have the hub setup perfect for Channels DVR, ATV and the Samsung TV so I can't complain. The only issue is the key pad only works on live tv to change channels not in the guide. I know that we got out of the the subject I started in this post but I also use the Channel Master remote.

I sold my Elite and got the Companion, and am much, much happier with it. I use it for a lot more than just controlling the AppleTV though. If it was just for the AppleTV, it would be total overkill.

Yes me too I have the companion working very well and they fixed the channel numbers on the guide. So all is good.

This is a great find, thanks for sharing. I use the ATV-Bluetooth set up with the Companion, so already have the Home button there. But with my IR-based Harmony 650, it's not there and I just assumed it'd never be. So I just purchased the Channel Master for the sole purpose of teaching this command :slight_smile: Thanks again!

1 Like

Hey Fofer,

We’re you ever able to get the 650 to learn the channel master home button? After having the harmony 650 learn the channel master home button, I can’t seem to get the long press or the double click working.

Did you ever get the app switcher and control panel working on the Apple TV via the harmony 650 after learning the magic Ir code on the channel master?

Much thanks in advance!

1 Like

Yes, I just got it yesterday and I was able to program my 650, but not with "double press" or "triple press" commands, at least not yet. So far I have able to teach two new commands from this Channel Master home button: short press, and long press, which I assigned to two buttons on the 650. Button 1 acts like the TV/Home button, and it allows me to interact with the Picture in Picture window. And Button 2 pulls up the tvOS Control Center. Both of these were commands I couldn't previously achieve with the Infrared-only 650. I haven't yet figured out how to teach the command (or emit the signal) for showing the app switcher though, if it's even possible. I don't require that often though, and when I do the AppleTV remote is never too far away.

Anyone else with a Channel Master teach their Harmony 650 these commands yet?

1 Like