Channels 4.0 Beta

For those that are able to test the new beta, is there a way to filter movies? For example, can you filter by category (Action, Comedy, Horror, etc)?

This is fixed in the new beta that's now available

1 Like

Yes, there are ā€œGenresā€ and ā€œDecadesā€ options in Movies (although when I enter ā€œGenresā€, I get stuck and canā€™t exit itā€” looks like this might be an unfinished area of the app).

1 Like

What do you mean? Menu should bring you right back to the previous section.

If you mean you can't exit the list of Genres, then that is a known thing. Alerts like this in tvOS will only let you dismiss if there's a "Cancel" option. I didn't want to add that to the list of options, but even I got tripped up on not being able to dismiss the choices.

Yes, thatā€™s what I meant. If there are no genres then all you see is ā€œChoose a Genreā€ and there is no escape :grinning:

Gah!! Thanks, I'll add a note to check for that and not even show the card if there's no genres.

One thing this beta doesn't have yet is a lot of QA on things like empty libraries and such, that'll come closer to release. Pointing out stuff like this is a HUGE help, thanks!

I'm curious though, do you have no movies? I wonder why there's no Genres?

Yes, no movies.

Yes. Selecting Library and Recordings works as expected now.

Testing the IOS version a bit and I donā€™t see a Manage Navigation option under General.

Also, when in the sidebar menu would it be possible to automatically switch to the option selected rather than having to click it? Then the flow would be swipe left, navigate, and swipe right vs swipe left, navigate, click, and swipe right.

As always, amazing work! Question: Is the top bar customizable, or only the side? For example, nobody in our house watches sports, so it would be nice to be able to remove that tab.

The items are not customizable on iOS.

The filters are not adjustable.

Awesome!
Couple of suggestions:

• Can the side bar menu be automatically hidden until you hit the remote button? Similar to how the top menu bar worked previously?
  • Can you add an option to remove/hide the guide categories (HD, All Channels, Sports,Kidd,etc.)? You have to navigate to the left, then left again, just to get to the menu - having to cross over those categories each time. Not sure about anyone else but I almost never change my guide from all channels or just HD. It would be a much cleaner look and eliminate an extra tap to the left to get to the menu.
  • I agree with a few of the other posts that the recorded content section is still very confusing. I love the little box that I can select that immediately takes me to all recordings - thatā€™s awesome!!! Everything else around it is confusing and cluttered and Iā€™m not sure what all the different sections include with my recorded tv.

Definitely a huge update though! Thank you guys for the constant updates and improvements! Well done!

1 Like

@maddox can I be added to the beta program again? It looks like I've been dropped out. I have test flight installed on my iPhone already. I will add it to an appletv that doesn't get used as much.

I think https://getchannels.com/beta/ has the link, no direct invite needed?

I don't have an email invite for the latest beta.

Nevermind I found it

Ok, ok. Iā€™ll keep my fingers crossed for that one to show up in the 5.0 beta :smiley:

I do not have an Iphone or Ipad how do I get an invitation code ... I have installed testflight.

For this case, email support and weā€™ll add you manually. Itā€™s silly Apple has made it like this.