Channels Android TV app crashes when turning TV on

I checked that Channels Beta app was updated to the most recent version (106.25.56).
I restarted the TV's OS.
I started the Channels Beta app.
Channels Beta app, per the Start Up settings, started the live channel 6000 successfully.
I turned the TV off for 15 seconds.
I turned the TV on. I waited 30 seconds, not pressing any buttons, while Channels Beta showed the black screen and the status bar with the pause symbol.
I pressed the center button on the TV remote and waited 30 seconds; nothing happened, still the black screen and status bar with the pause symbol (the status bar never times out in this state).
I pressed the back button and went to the Support menu and submitted diagnostics as Crash.

1 Like

Channels for Android TV Beta version 107.10.2212 still gets stuck in pause mode when turning the TV off and then on again.

Channels for Android TV 3.5.2, which was released today, also has the stuck in pause when TV is turned off then on behavior.

I don't understand why you're being asked to keep testing this over and over and submitting diagnostics when it also happens to me (not isolated to you), and @tmm1 has the necessary hardware to reproduce it.

Fixed in next beta.

2 Likes

Beta 107.13.14 of the Android TV app arrived for my TV today.
I have been testing by setting Channels DVR Beta to a live channel, turning the TV off for 15 seconds, then turning it on again.
This beta version successfully restarts the live channel when the TV has been turned off for less than 90 seconds.
If the TV has been turned off for more than 90 seconds, I get something I haven't seen before: a black screen with the status bar on the bottom, and in the middle of the screen in large white letters, "Playback Failed" with an exclamation point inside a triangle in front of it. Hitting the back button takes Channels DVR beta to the menus with no delay.
I tested this with a stopwatch. Three times in a row, turning the TV on after 80 seconds, success. Three times in a row, turning the TV on after 95 seconds, "Playback Failed".
I looked through various settings for anything like a 90 second timer, but I don't see anything like that in the Channels app settings. My TV's Screen Saver settings are set to have the screensaver turn on after 5 minutes of inactivity, and to never put the TV to sleep, but that isn't active when an app is running.

Edit: Later, I went back to do again to submit a crash report, restarting the TV's OS in the process, but it successfully restarted the live channel after 100 seconds of being turned off, 3 times in a row. I left the TV turned off for a much longer time, about 15 or 20 minutes, turned it on and got a "Playback Failed" screen, and submitted the Crash report.

1 Like

Looks like playback failed is due to your TV not being connected to the network when you turn it back on.

connect: network is unreachable

My Internet feed went down entirely today, requiring me to call in an outage to my ISP. Their technicians worked on something physical up the line from me for several hours, and the Internet is back now. I put up a live channel and turned off the TV for over an hour, and it was still live when it turned back on.

I wonder if yesterday's severe solar storm was messing with me. I shall continue to test having the TV off on a live channel for awhile to see if that happens again but I'm thinking this was an unfortunate coincidence.

Successfully resumed live playback after 6 - 8 hours turned off. Thanks @tmm1

2 Likes